Earlier this year, OnePlus introduced the OnePlus 9R in India. The smartphone came as the cost-effective entry in this year’s flagship lineup. However, its availability is quite limited allowing only customers in India and China to enjoy this beauty. Even though the device has good software support, OnePlus is rolling a big update for the customer in India that runs the OxygenOS-powred version of the OnePlus 9R. The new software update is arriving almost two months after the last one – Yes, the device is not getting many updates after all. Today, it is getting the OxygenOS 188.8.131.52 firmware that brings a set of new features and security fixes.
According to the official announcement post on OnePlus Community, the OxygenOS 184.108.40.206 update for the OnePlus 9R bumps the security patch. Now, the device’s owners will be running July 2021 security patch. It’s not ideal since it’s almost August. Curiously, companies like Samsung are already pushing the August 2021 security patch. Anyway, OnePlus also lagged behind when it comes to rolling these security patches. In addition to the new Android security patch level, the update also brings an updated GMS (Google Mobile Services) package of June 2021.
The new software build adds a screenshot for the Always-On display. Interestingly, it adds the Bitmoji AOD option for users. Other features include overheating control management of third-part apps as well as experience of “Quick Reply” in some scenarios. Last but not least, it also fixes some known issues.
As usual, the new OxygenOS update is rolling out in batches. For that reason, just a few units will receive this update now. Once the company is confident that the update is stable it will bring a wider rollout.
OnePlus 9R OxygenOS 220.127.116.11 Official Changelog
- Optimized the overheating control management of third-party apps
- Optimized the experience of Quick Reply in some scenarios
- Updated Android security patch to 2021.07
- Updated GMS package to 2021.06
- Fixed known issue
- Newly added the screenshot feature for AOD
- Newly added Bitmoji AOD, co-designed with Snapchat, will liven up the ambient display with your personal Bitmoji avatar. Your avatar will update throughout the day based on your activity and things happening around you ( Path: Settings – Customization – Clock on ambient display – Bitmoji )
Since the device is getting July 2021 security patch, we don’t think it will taste the August security patch, at least not this month. OnePlus may wait until a further update to change this. The OnePlus 9R is eligible for at least two major Android upgrades and should enter the OxygenOS 12 beta program later this year.