Chinese manufacturer, Huawei, is currently struggling in the smartphone market. Since the ban on the company by the U.S., its smartphone business has not been running in full capacity. The company can not use Google Mobile Services thus its smartphone business outside China is down. Furthermore, its 5G Kirin chips can not be produced by companies that use American companies. This means that it can not release 5G smartphones. However, the company is still forging ahead and is not giving up. A few hours ago, the company released its latest foldable smartphone, Huawei P50 Pocket.
This evening, the Huawei P50 Pocket officially commenced reservations and this device sells for 8988 yuan ($1,410). According to reports, as of press time, the number of reservations for Huawei P50 Pocket on the JD platform has exceeded 120,000. Furthermore, the number of reservations for this device on Tmall exceeds 90,000. On Huawei Mall, the number of reservations for this smartphone exceeds 970,000. This shows that the total number of reservations on the three platforms has exceeded 1 million units.
This flagship uses a new generation of water drop hinges, which presents a nearly seamless visual effect after folding. With this design, the body of the smartphone is very slim. The thickness is 7.2mm when unfolded, and only 15.2mm after folding. This makes the smartphone stronger and more reliable.
Moreover, Huawei P50 Pocket is available in two colour options, obsidian black, and crystal diamond white. This smartphone uses the industry’s first double-sided three-dimensional micro-sculpting process to present a unique artistic sense. The unique mirror surface of obsidian black makes the back of the phone shine like a mirror. This device uses a 6.9-inch full screen as well as the Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 flagship processor. Under the hood, it has a 4000 mAh battery that supports a 40W fast charge.
Huawei P50 Pocket specifications
- 6.9-inch (2790 x 1188 Pixels) FHD+ OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate, 300Hz touch sampling rate, 1440 Hz high frequency PWM dimming, DCI-P3 colour gamut, up to 1.07 billion colours
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 4G 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB RAM with 256GB storage / 12GB RAM with 512GB storage
- Android-based EMUI 12 (Global) / HarmonyOS 2 (China)
- Dual SIM
- 40MP True-Chroma Camera with f/1.8 aperture, 13MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture, 32MP Ultra Spectrum Camera with f/1.8 aperture
- 10.7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C Audio
- Dimensions: 170 (87.3 when folded) ×75.5 ×7.2 (15.2 when folded) mm; Weight: 190g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 Dual band), NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4000mAh (typical) battery with 40W HUAWEI SuperCharge wired fast charging