Having outperformed competitors in budget and mid-range segments, Xiaomi rushed to the premium segment and this week, Xiaomi 12 and Xiaomi 12 Pro were sent to the top league. Specialized publications in China have already begun to publish reviews of the new smartphones and we have a reason to talk about a burning topic – Snapdragon 8 Gen 1.
The thing is that for the last year Qualcomm has been playing the fool and going out on the image. Its top-end platforms are prone to overheating and many people compare them to stoves. But the chipmaker does not care about this, They are increasing productivity, and they put the fight against heat dissipation on the shoulders of manufacturers. They have to invent ever more powerful and larger cooling systems.
Xiaomi 12 Pro in a stress test demonstrates the flaws of the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1
This was done in the Xiaomi 12 Pro, offering better cooling. But it still fails and is not able to completely pacify the hot temper of Snapdragon 8 Gen 1. The CPU Throttling Test stress test the smartphone passes uncertainly – the frequency drops by more than 40% from the maximum, and quite quickly. The average value is 210 GIPS, which is slightly worse than the result of the Xiaomi Mi 11.
Alas, we have to admit that the cooling in the Xiaomi 12 Pro does not cope with the hot temper of the chip – the smartphone does not heat up enough to burn fingers, but it nevertheless heats up and is subject to throttling. It seems that the smartphone does not hold long-term loads perfectly. The smartphone does not start to dull and slow down, it still works smartly, but does not give out maximum performance.
Gizchina News of the week
A number of publications note that when starting heavy games at first, the smartphone stably holds 60 frames per second, but after 15-30 minutes drawdowns occur. Depending on the game, the average frame rate is 51-53fps, and the temperature of the case is 43-44.4 ° C. Well, it looks like you won’t be able to play high-performance games on top-end graphics for a long time with such heating and throttling.
Xiaomi 12 Pro specifications
- 6.73-inch (3200 x 1440 pixels) Full HD+ AMOLED 20:9 HDR10 + display, 1-120Hz refresh rate; 480Hz touch sampling rate, up to 1500 nits brightness, 8,000,000:1 (Min) contrast ratio; HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 8GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 128GB / 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage / 12GB LPPDDR5 RAM 256GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 13 based on Android 12
- 50MP rear camera with 1/ 1.28″ Sony IMX707 sensor, f/1.9 aperture, OIS, LED flash; In addition to 50MP Samsung JN1 115° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.2 aperture; and a 50MP Samsung JN1 2x portrait camera with f/1.9 aperture, 48mm focal length, 8K video recording
- 32MP front-facing camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Hi-Res audio, Dual speakers, Harman Kardon tuning, Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: 163.6×74.6×8.16mm; Weight: 205g (glass) / 204g (leather)
- 5G SA/NSA,Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS (L1 + L5), NavIC, USB Type-C
- 4600mAh (Typical) battery with 120W wired fast charging, 50W wireless second charge / 10W Wireless rechargeable