There are only a handful of foldable smartphones in the smartphone market presently. Huawei and Samsung are the pioneers of the foldable smartphone market. They collectively have more foldable smartphones than all other manufacturers put together. However, since the ban on Huawei, its pace of developing foldable smartphones have been quite slow. At the end of last year, the Chinese manufacturer released its first vertical opening and closing foldable smartphone, Huawei P50 Pocket.
At the time, this device was only available in the Chinese smartphone market and it has an 8,088 yuan ($1412) starting price. Since then, there have been speculations that this device will be hitting the global market. This is now a reality as the Huawei P50 Pocket is now available in the global market excluding the U.S. of course. However, this device comes with a 1,299 euros starting price which is about $1484. This shows that the Huawei P50 Pocket is about $70 more expensive outside China.
The global promotion of the Huawei P50 Pocket began in late January with pre-orders in Asia Pacific, the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and South America. Among them, the white version 8GB + 256GB version is priced at 1299 euros, and the gold version 12GB + 512GB version is priced at 1599 euros. Irrespective of the model, the global version is more expensive than the Chinese version.
Huawei P50 Pocket specifications
The P50 Pocket is equipped with a 6.9-inch foldable flexible OLED screen with a screen ratio of 21:9, a 120Hz refresh rate, and a 300Hz game-level touch sampling rate. This smartphone also supports 1440Hz high-frequency PWM dimming. As one of Huawei’s best flagship phones for taking pictures, the P50 Pocket uses a three-camera combination which includes a 40-megapixel main camera + 13-megapixel ultra-wide-angle camera + 32-megapixel super-spectral camera. This device also adds XD Fusion Pro technology to make the image more natural.
- 6.9-inch (2790 x 1188 Pixels) FHD+ OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate, 300Hz touch sampling rate, 1440 Hz high-frequency PWM dimming, DCI-P3 colour gamut, up to 1.07 billion colours
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 4G 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB RAM with 256GB storage / 12GB RAM with 512GB storage
- Android-based EMUI 12 (Global) / HarmonyOS 2 (China)
- Dual SIM
- 40MP True-Chroma Camera with f/1.8 aperture, 13MP ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture, 32MP Ultra Spectrum Camera with f/1.8 aperture
- 10.7MP front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C Audio
- Dimensions: 170 (87.3 when folded) ×75.5 ×7.2 (15.2 when folded) mm; Weight: 190g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 Dual band), NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4000mAh (typical) battery with 40W HUAWEI SuperCharge wired fast charging