Sharp is not a regular player in the smartphone market. Nevertheless, the Japanese company releases smartphones from time to time. Today, the company released the Sharp AQUOS R7 in Japan, and it is scheduled to hit the market in the summer. Although the presence of Sharp mobile phones outside Japan is not high, the Sharp AQUOS R7 still has some unique selling points. This smartphone comes with a 6.6-inch IGZO OLED display with a resolution of 2730 x 1260. This screen supports a variable refresh rate of 1~240Hz, a maximum brightness of 2000 nits, and Dolby Vision HDR display.
Furthermore, this smartphone display also integrates 3D ultrasonic fingerprint recognition and it has the Corning Gorilla Victus protection. In terms of core hardware, this device uses the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, 12GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage. Interestingly, the internal storage can be expanded by up to 1TB via an expansion card. This huge expansion capacity is not very common in the industry. In addition, the Sharp AQUOS R7 retains a 3.5mm headphone jack.
The huge camera on the back is one major concern for many users. However, the camera bump comes for a good reason. This smartphone supports a 1-inch giant bottom CMOS and its pixel size is 3.2μm. This smartphone comes with a 47MP Leica Summicron lens that supports 8K video recording. On the front, this device comes with a 12MP selfie camera.
In other respects, the 5000 mAh battery supports Qi wireless charging, supports 5G network, IP68 dustproof and waterproof, pre-installed Android 12 system, and provides silver and black colours.
Sharp AQUOS R7 specifications
- 6.6-inch (1260 x 2730 pixels) WUXGA+ Pro IGZO OLED display, 1-240Hz refresh rate
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 256GB UFS 3.1 storage, microSD up to 1TB
- Android 12
- 47.2MP 1″ sensor with f/1.9 aperture, Leica Sumicron lens, EIS, LED Flash, Low Light 1.9MP ToF AF camera
- 12.6MP front camera with f/2.3 aperture
- Qualcomm 3D Sonic Max in-display ultrasonic fingerprint sensor
- Water and dustproof (IPX5 / IPX8 / IP6X)
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2, GPS + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
- 5,000mAh battery with fast charging
As of now, the company has not officially released any information on the price of this device. According to Sharp, the AQUOS R7 will be available in Black and Silver colours. As for its sales period, this device will commence sales in July this year. As usual, Sharp will use local carriers like Softbank and NTT Docomo for its sales.