Over time, smartphones take more and more sophisticated photos. And more and more easily, their number therefore continues to increase, while each file weighs more and more. And despite the constant increase in internal storage, it is not uncommon to find yourself running out of space. Of course, the solution is to delete some (or export them to a storage space, physical or cloud). But that obviously takes more and more time. Now, it seems that Apple has a solution with the upcoming iOS 16 update.
With iOS 16, Apple will offer a new function that will certainly have a positive impact on the management of photos and the space available in iPhones (which, remember, is not expandable): the almost automatic deletion of duplicates. We had already presented this function when announcing iOS 16. It appeared with the public beta that Apple put online at the beginning of the week. It is therefore finally possible to use it.
Gizchina News of the week
Here’s how to easily delete duplicate photos with iOS 16
- Open the Photos app and switch to the “Albums” tab.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to reach the “other” category
- Select “duplicate” here. The artificial intelligence will analyze the photos in your photo library and present the shots that seem to be the same. The search is not limited to photos taken on the same day. And if more than two photos look alike, they will all appear.
- Once the analysis is done, the application presents all the similar photos found. You can choose to ” merge ” only one batch or several batches at the same time. Merging simply means that the app will keep only one photo.
- The application will choose one of the two photos (the best technically) and place the other in the trash, named “Recently deleted”. It will automatically be deleted within 30 days if you have not done so manually.
iOS 16 is the next version of the iPhone operating system. It was official in June 2022 during Apple’s WWDC conference. It will have many improvements, several of which relate to photography. iCloud shared photo library (up to 6 contributors). The possibility of editing several photos at the same time (to apply a filter for example). Or even selective clipping to carry out visual research. The arrival of the final version of iOS 16 will take place in September, at the same time as the iPhone 14.