OnePlus has kept its promise to update the OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T to Android 9 Pie, and a few days after the end of 2018, the brand has released OTA updates for both devices.
The update to Android 9 adds the new gaming mode 3.0 with a new way of notification of messages, and the OnePlus 5T gets the navigation by gestures.
Gesture navigation removes on-screen navigation buttons to be replaced by a single button and gestures on the screen such as swiping to the middle of the screen to view recent applications or access the full application drawer.
The use of gestures does not make much sense in devices with physical navigation buttons, such as those with the OnePlus 5, so this phone has not received this functionality.
Apart from this, all other software changes are the same for OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T. Here’s the changelog :
- Updated system to Android™ 9 Pie™
- Brand new UI for Android Pie
- Brand new navigation gestures (Available for OnePlus 5T only)
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.12
- Other new features and system improvements
- New Gaming mode 3.0
- Added text notification mode
- Added notification for 3rd party calls
- Do Not Disturb mode
- New Do Not Disturb (DND) mode with adjustable settings
- Integrated Google Lens mode
OnePlus has promised in July of this year updates to Android 9 Pie also for OnePlus 3 and OnePlus 3T, which was a surprise since the manufacturers normally only offer two years of software updates for their devices. Now we have to wait and see when and how OnePlus updates both devices to Android 9 Pie.