Months after it initially revealed the Honor Magic 2 in China, Huawei sub-brand has today announced a new variant of the device with some better specs. Dubbed the Honor Magic 2 3D, the device is basically the same as the Magic 2 announced last year, but for the inclusion of a “structured light” 3D structured light camera on the front for advanced face unlock. Honor has basically dropped one of the 2MP front sensors for a 3D camera sensor for advanced face unlock.
Honor says the 3D scanner can work in the dark and will track 10,000 facial points to authenticate and unlock your smartphone. The extra layer of security makes it fit to be used to lock apps like AliPay (Alibaba’s mobile payment platform in China). Aside from the 3D scanner, the new Honor Magic 2 3D also comes with a graphene cooling pad, which will help the Kirin 980 SoC inside to stay cooler and maintain its peak performance for a longer period of time. The device also now includes 8GB RAM and 512GB of storage, while every other spec remains unchanged.
Honor Magic 2 3D specifications
- 6.39-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) FHD+ AMOLED 19.5:9 display with 108% DCI-P3 Color Gamut
- HUAWEI Kirin 980 (2 x Cortex A76 2.6 GHz + 2 x Cortex A76 1.92 GHz + 4 x Cortex A55 1.8 GHz) processor with 720 MHz ARM Mali-G76MP10 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB storage 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB / 256GB storage
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with EMUI 9.0
- 16MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, 24MP secondary monochrome sensor with f/1.8 aperture, 16MP super wide angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, LED flash, AIS, AI intelligent stabilization
- 16MP front camera with f/ 2.0 aperture, 2MP + 2MP f / 2.4 aperture cameras
- In-display fingerprint sensor, 3D Face Unlock
- Dual SIM
- IPX2 water-protection
- Dimensions: 157.32×75.13×8.3mm; Weight: 206g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz) (wave2), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NFC, USB Type-C (GEN1)
- 3500mAh battery with 40W SuperCharge
The Honor Magic 2 3D is at the moment only available in China where it sells for 5799 yuan /US$ 864.