Today, IGN released the list of the top ten best-selling video games. Surprisingly, ‘Tetris’ with 500 million copies domineers, while Blizzard’s ‘Diablo 3’ appeared on the bottom of the list with 30 million sales.
The IGN list also counts the sales of games bundled with the buy-in machine. Free downloads are not taken into account. So games like Fortress Night and League of Legends don’t appear on the list.
IGN also mentioned that the ‘Elder Scrolls 5: Skyline’ released by B Club in November 2011 sold 30 million sets in 2016, but ‘Diablo 3’ sold more than 30 million in 2015. So IGN still gave the tenth place to Diablo 3.
Get acquainted with the complete list:
- Tetris, sales of 500 million copies, released on June 6, 1984, landing on most platforms;
- Minecraft, sales of 154 million copies, released on May 17, 2009, landing PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Switch, Wii U, Wii, 3DS, PSV, PC;
- Grand Theft Auto 5, sales of 100 million copies, released on September 17, 2013, landing PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, PC;
- Wii Sports, sales of 83 million copies, released on November 19, 2006, landing Wii;
- PUBG, sales of 50 million copies, March 23, 2017 pre-emptive experience, landing PS4, Xbox One, PC, (mobile version is free, so there is no statistics);
- Pokemon (red / blue / green / yellow), sales of 45 million copies, released on February 27, 1996, landing Game Boy, Virtual Console (3DS);
- Super Mario Bros., sold 40 million copies, released on September 13, 1985, landing NES/Famicom, Game Boy Advance, Virtual Console (Wii, Wii U, 3DS);
- Mario Kart Wii, sales of 37 million copies, released on April 10, 2008, landing Wii;
- Wii Sports Resort, sales of 33 million copies, released on June 25, 2009, landing Wii;
- Diablo 3, sales of 30 million copies, released on May 15, 2012, landing PS4, Xbox One, Switch, Xbox 360, PS3, PC.