Just a few days ago, Huawei silently revealed the Huawei P Smart Z – its first smartphone with a pop-up selfie camera on the official Huawei Spain and Huawei Italy websites, with the official announcement expected to follow soon. While that has yet to happen, the Chinese firm has again stealthily revealed the Huawei Y9 Prime (2019) on its official website.
The device is the direct successor to the Y9 Prime 2018, but share a lot in common with the recently revealed Huawei P Smart Z. The Huawei Y9 Prime 2019 gets an extra rear camera making a total of three rear cameras up from the dual setup on the P Smart Z, while it shares other specs and features with the P smart Z – including the same pop-up design for the selfie camera.
Huawei Y9 Prime (2019) specifications and features
The two-tone rear design remains, likewise the 6.59-inch Ultra FullView Display with a 2340 x 1080 resolution and the Kirin 710 SoC, 4GB RAM, and 64GB of storage which can be expanded up to 512GB using a microSD card. While the P smart Z is available in 4GB+64GB variant, the Y9 gets an additional variant with 4GB RAM+128GB storage.
HUAWEI Y9 Prime (2019) specifications
- 6.59-inch (2340 x 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 19:5:9 2.5D curved glass display
- Octa-Core Kirin 710F 12nm (4 x 2.2GHz Cortex-A73 +4 x 1.7GHz Cortex-A53) with ARM Mali-G51 MP4 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64/128GB storage, expandable memory up to 512GB with microSD
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with EMUI 9.0
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 16MP rear camera with LED flash, secondary 2MP rear camera, an 8MP ultra wide-angle lens
- 16MP front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Dimensions: 163.5×77.3×8.8mm; Weight: 196.8g
- Fingerprint sensor
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.2 LE, GPS + GLONASS, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh battery
- Black, Green, and Blue color options
In terms of optics, the Huawei Y9 Prime (2019) comes with a 16MP pop-up selfie cam, and a triple rear camera setup consisting of a 16MP f/1.8 and 2MP f/2.4 units coupled with an 8MP ultra wide-angle lens. Other features include dual SIM, 4G, Wi-FI, Bluetooth and GPS. It misses out on the in-display fingerprint scanner but gets a rear scanner as well as the Face Unlock feature.
Huawei has yet to announce official pricing for the device, however, it is expected to sell a little over the €279 asking price of the P smart Z, which is what you would be paying for an extra cam and more storage space.