After the details revealed a few days ago, Honor 20 and Honor 20 Pro were officially presented today in London through a dedicated event. The two new smartphones undoubtedly want to capture users’ attention through some aesthetic details, without forgetting the technical data sheet, which they share in many respects: let’s find out everything.
“The ethics of the Honor brand reflects a desire for constant improvement, which applies to whatever we do” said George Zhao, President of Honor, “The new Honor 20 series invites users to capture the magic, thanks to a professional photographic sector and the beautiful dynamic holographic design. This design consolidates Honor’s leadership in the smartphone sector, reflecting its absolute mastery”.
Most of the technical data sheet of Honor 20 and 20 Pro is in common, but obviously, there are some differences: these mainly concern the photographic sector, but they also touch on other details.
HONOR 20 and 20 Pro specifications
- 6.26-inch (2340×1080 pixels) FHD+ All-View display, 412 PPI
- HUAWEI Kirin 980 (2 x Cortex A76 2.6 GHz + 2 x Cortex A76 1.92 GHz + 4 x Cortex A55 1.8 GHz) processor with 720 MHz ARM Mali-G76MP10 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB UFS 2.1 storage (HONOR 20) / 8GB LPDDR4x RAM with 256GB UFS 2.1 storage (HONOR 20 Pro)
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with Magic UI 2.1
- Dual SIM
- HONOR 20 Pro – 48MP rear camera with 1/2″ Sony IMX586 sensor, f/1.4 aperture, 4-axis OIS, EIS, PDAF, Laser auto focus, 16MP 117-degree Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 8MP telephoto camera with f/2.4 aperture, 4-axis OIS, 3x loss-less optical zoom, 2MP f/2.4 aperture camera for 4cm macro
- HONOR 20 – 48MP rear camera with 1/2″ Sony IMX586 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, AIS, 16MP 117-degree Ultra Wide Angle lens, 2MP f/2.4 aperture camera for 4cm macro, 2MP f/2.4 aperture camera for depth sensing
- 32MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture, 3D Portrait Lighting
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- HONOR 20 Pro – Dimensions: 154.6 x 73.97 x 8.44mm; Weight: 182g
- HONOR 20 – Dimensions: 154.25 x 73.97 x 7.87mm; Weight: 174g
- USB Type-C audio, Virtual 9.1 Surround Sound, Dual-microphones, Huawei Histen 6.0
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS, USB Type-C
- HONOR 20 – 3750mAh battery with 22.5W (4.5V-5A) HONOR SuperCharge fast charging
- HONOR 20 Pro – 4000mAh battery with 22.5W (4.5V-5A) HONOR SuperCharge fast charging
Obviously all the IA functions already mentioned for Honor 20 (AI Camera, AI Ultra Clarity Mode, AI Image Stabilization, AIS Super Night mode and AI Color mode) are not missing, and video recording up to 4K or 1080p resolution with the camera respectively rear and front. Honor 20 Pro has reached 111 points on DxOMark ( here is the complete analysis), grabbing the third place of the podium below Huawei P30 Pro and Samsung Galaxy S10 5G (112 points for both).
The main differences of the Pro version compared to Honor 20, therefore, concern the presence of the 3X optical zoom, the larger battery (4000 mAh instead of 3750) and the memories. The 20 Pro can also count on the Graphene Cooling technology, a new thermal solution designed to dissipate heat more effectively and ensure stable temperatures thanks to graphene.
Honor 20 and 20 Pro will be marketed with the latest version of Google software, namely Android 9 Pie, customized through the Magic UI 2.1.0 interface.
Both smartphones offer Virtual 9.1 Surround sound powered by Histen 6.0, a new system created to offer a more immersive experience when listening through headphones, both wired and wireless: it is able to return a richer and more enveloping sound, like if it came from all directions. Useful in particular during the use of multimedia content or in games.
There’s also Turbo 3.0 GPU, which allows players to have a better gaming experience in terms of fluidity to take advantage of the most popular titles of the moment, like Fortnite, PUBG Mobile, Vainglory and so on.
Honor 20 and 20 Pro do not differ much from an aesthetic point of view. Both smartphones feature an all-view display with reduced frames, a 91.6% screen-to-body ratio, a side mounted fingerprint sensor and Dynamic Holographic Design.
Both have a hole in the display that contains the front camera, while the 20 Pro alone has curved 3D glass. Honor 20 will be sold in the Midnight Black and Sapphire Blue colors, Honor 20 Pro in those Phantom Black and Phantom Blue.
Honor 20 and 20 Pro will roll out across Europe and Asia soon. The company already confirmed that the HONOR 20 series will launch in India on June 11th on Flipkart at the recommended price of 499 Euros (US$ 556 / Rs. 38,785 approx.) and 599 Euros (US$ 668 / Rs. 46,550 approx.) respectively.