Apple announced on Wednesday that since the launch of the App Store in 2008, the App Store has brought developers $155 billion in revenue. According to media analysis, based on developers getting a 70% share of app sales, this means that the total App Store sales in 2019 hit $50 billion and generated about $15 billion in revenue for Apple.
Apple does not disclose the total annual revenue of its App Store. However, since 2013, Apple has released statistics on the App Store every January, including the total amount paid to developers. Developers get 70% of the app purchase price on the App Store, rising to 85% in the second year of subscription. With this information, the total revenue of the App Store can be estimated from the amount paid to the developer.
Gizchina News of the week
According to statistics from Apple, the company paid developers $35 billion in 2019. This means that the total App Store sale is $ 50billion. With App Store sales of $50 billion a year, it ranks 64th in the Fortune 500, ahead of Cisco and behind Morgan Stanley. Nevertheless, the growth of the App Store is slowing. In 2019, Apple paid developers $35 billion, which is only 2.9% higher than the $34 billion in 2018, a significant slowdown compared to the 30% increase in spending in 2017.
In addition, Apple also released other data today, including:
- App Store sales of $1.42 billion between December 24 and 31
- App Store’s highest single-day revenue was $386 million, set on January 1, 2020
- 50% of Apple Music users use the new lyrics sync feature
- Apple News has more than 100 million monthly active users in the US, UK, Australia, and Canada
- Apple Podcasts has more than 800,000 shows
- 75% of iCloud users use two-factor authentication, which makes it harder for attackers to control user accounts.