Recently, the flagship Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra was presented, which, in addition to the expected top-end specs, stunned with battery charging capabilities. And if wired charging of 120 W is surprising, then support for 50 W wireless charge will make you more surprised – not all flagships have such a charging speed over a cable.
Thanks to this new Xiaomi wireless charging technology, the 4500 mAh smartphone battery can be fully filled in just 40 minutes.
Xiaomi explains the technology behind its 50W wireless fast charging
To answer all the questions, the company posted an explanation of how this technology works. The key point was the change in the layout between the coil and the battery, that is, the charge pump – DC-DC converter, which is used to increase or decrease the voltage.
Instead of the traditional layout with two generators working in series, Xiaomi made them work in parallel to each other. Voltage conversion is not 100% efficient – conventional generators are 97% efficient. If you install two generators side by side, then the efficiency even starts to drop constantly. With the generators that Xiaomi installed, this will not be a problem.
Xiaomi has also used a new generation of generators with an efficiency of 98.5%. This may seem like a small difference, but keep in mind that at 50 watts, even 1% can give off significant heat for devices like a smartphone.
The generators are connected to the battery with a highly conductive graphene-based material to further minimize losses. The battery itself is divided into two connected 2250 mAh cells.
The reel is also tricky. Xiaomi used 5-layer multi-strand winding technology – a design that helps to concentrate on the effect of the magnetic field and further reduce losses.
Last week, Xiaomi unveiled the flagship smartphones Xiaomi Mi 10 Ultra and Redmi K30 Ultra, as well as unique transparent TV and a number of other products. The Mi 10 Ultra comes with the new 50W wireless charging technology, and here is a reminder of its full specs:
XIAOMI MI 10 ULTRA SPECIFICATIONS
- 6.67-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ AMOLED 19.5:9 aspect ratio HDR10 + display with 120Hz refresh rate, 1120nit (HBM) / 800nit (Typ) brightness, 5000000:1 (Min) contrast ratio, DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core (1 x 2.84GHz + 3 x 2.42GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 128GB. 256GB UFS 3.1 storage. 12GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 256GB storage. 16GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 512GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 12 based on Android 10
- 48MP rear camera with 1/ 1.32″ OV48C sensor,1.2μm, f/1.85 aperture, OIS, 8P lens, LED flash. 48MP Sony IMX586 periscope telephoto lens with f/4.1 aperture for 10x optical zoom and 120x digital zoom, OIS. 20MP 128° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.2 aperture. 12MP 1/2.6″ 2PD sensor with 1.4um for 2x zoom and portrait, 8k at 24fps, 4k 60fps, 960fps at 1080p
- 20MP front-facing camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Hi-Res audio, Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 162.38×75.04×9.45mm; Weight: 221.8g
- 5G SA/NSA Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 6 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz) 8 x / MU-MIMO. Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1 + L5), NFC, USB Type-C
- 4500mAh battery with 120W QC 5 / PD3.0 wired. 50W wireless fast charging, 10w wireless reverse charging