The Samsung Galaxy S20 FE unveiled yesterday received a plastic back cover, which previously also appeared in the flagship Galaxy Note 20 model, while the Note 20 Ultra received a glass back. Presumably, the company is trying to maximize profits by saving on expensive glass, and now decided to accompany this controversial decision with a video explaining the advantages of plastic.
Plastic back pic.twitter.com/zTh2JJkefG
— Max Weinbach (@MaxWinebach) September 24, 2020
Among the advantages of the plastic back (or, as the manufacturer calls it, Glasstic), Samsung highlights the strength and the ability to wirelessly charge, not available for metal cases. Also, the resistance of plastic to the collection of ugly fingerprints on the surface of the back looks especially amusing – the fact is that matte glass has the same properties and in recent years it can often be found on the back panels of smartphones such as iPhone, OnePlus and, of course, Samsung (Galaxy Note 20 Ultra in bronze). The company did not mention the ability of plastic to quickly collect scratches.
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE specifications
- 6.5-inch Full HD+ (2400 × 1080 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity-O Display, 407 PPI, 120Hz refresh rate
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU. Or Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 990 7nm EUV processor with ARM Mali-G77MP11 GPU
- 6GB RAM (LPDDR5) with 128GB internal storage. 8GB RAM (LPDDR5) with 128GB/256GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- Android 10 with OneUI
- Single SIM / Hybrid SIM
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, 79˚ FOV, OIS. 8MP Telephoto lens with 32° FoV, f/2.4 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 3X Optical Zoom, Up to 30x Super Resolution Zoom. 12MP 123° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture
- 32MP front-facing camera with 80° wide-angle lens, f/2.0 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Surround sound with Dolby Atmos
- Optical Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 74.5 x 159.8 x 8.4mm; Weight: 190g
- 5G SA/NSA Sub6 / mmWave (Optional), Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax, Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB 3.1, NFC, MST
- 4500mAh (typical) with 25W fast charging, WPC Qi wireless fast charging, Wireless PowerShare
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Samsung is making a big bet on the new Galaxy S20 FE smartphone. According to South Korean media reports, the company plans to produce at least 10 million units of the Galaxy S20 FE this year. The company plans to take the leading position in the market in 2020. In the second quarter, it became known that Huawei overtook Samsung to become the leading smartphone brand. However, due to the sanctions, shipments of Huawei smartphones in some regions are starting to decline. In China, local manufacturers including Xiaomi, Oppo and Vivo should benefit from this.
In South Korea, users prefer Samsung products, which in the second quarter took 67% of the home market. It will be interesting to see how good the sales of the smartphone turn out to be, since its price is rumored to be $700, and according to analysts IDC, 73% of global mobile phone shipments in 2020 will come from models under $400.