All of the promotional images for the new Pixel 5 feature very narrow bezels. Well, it seems that this time the images are true – most likely, the manufacturer really decided to use the speaker under the display.
The earpiece of the Google Pixel 5 is under the display
This interesting design aspect was noticed by Reddit users after checking out the official Pixel 5 hardware diagram. It shows that the earpiece is clearly not touching the top bezel and exists under the screen. Slightly above it are the proximity and light sensors – the location, by the way, is similar to that implemented in the Pixel 4a, where the last component is located under the display to the right of the speaker.
These components are centered in the diagram. However, the images of the glass on the front of the Pixel 5 suggest it is slightly shifted to the left of center.
The Pixel 5 isn’t the first smartphone to feature an under-display speaker that vibrates the screen so lightly for sound. For example, Huawei has dabbled in such technology with its flagship P40 Pro.
While the reviews on the Web have not yet appeared, it is unclear how well this technology works on the new product from Google. But we must pay tribute to the American company – for a relatively modest price list, the manufacturer was able to introduce technologies of flagship devices.
Gizchina News of the week
Google Pixel 5
The vanilla Google Pixel 5 is coming as the sole 2020 “flagship” from Google this year. The XL role is in a certain way, played by the Pixel 4a 5G, since it has a 6.2″ display. However, Google tries to offer the usual premium feeling with the Pixel 5.
The new handset flaunts a 6-inch display with FHD+ resolution. However, to our surprise, Google is jumping on the high-refresh-rate display trend with a 90Hz panel. This isn’t whopping as the 144Hz like the Mi 10T series released recently. However, it’s a good thing to see Google adopting current trends, since previous rumors were pointing to a standard 60Hz display.
Google Pixel 5 specifications
- 6-inch (2340 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ OLED 90Hz HDR display, 432 PPI, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage
- Android 11
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12.2MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture, LED flash, OIS, 16MP 107° Ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 8MP front camera with 84° ultra-wide lens, f/2.0 aperture
- Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner
- Water and dust Resistant (IP68)
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers, 3 microphones
- Dimensions: 144.7 x 70.4 x 8.0mm; Weight: 151g
- 5G SA/NA 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 5.0 LE, GPS, USB Type C 3.1 (1st Gen), NFC
- 4000mAh battery with 18W fast charging, Qi wireless charging, reverse charging