Japanese research company Fomalhaut Techno Solutions has published the results of evaluating the cost of components for the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro smartphones. We talked about the iPhone 12 in a separate post, and now we are talking about the iPhone 12 Pro model.
The analysis showed that the cost of components for the iPhone 12 is $373, and the iPhone 12 Pro costs $406. In the US, the iPhone 12 starts at $800, while the iPhone 12 Pro charges at least $1,000. The difference in price between these models is $200, while the cost of materials differs by only $33.
Excluding marketing, logistics, packaging, software development, and so on, Apple makes about $593 per iPhone 12 Pro, but of course the actual amount is much less.
Most of the components are supplied by Korean manufacturers, their parts account for 26.8% of the cost of materials. The second place with the result of 21.9% belongs to American manufacturers. Next come companies from Japan, Taiwan and China (13.6, 11.1 and 4.6%).
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max.
Apple iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max specifications
- iPhone 12 Pro- 6.1-inch (2532×1170 pixels) OLED 460ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, HDR, Dolby Vision, Ceramic Shield protection
- iPhone 12 Pro Max -6.7-inch (2778×1284 pixels) OLED 458ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A14 Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, quad-core graphics
- 128GB,256GB and 512GB storage options
- iOS 14
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- iPhone 12 Pro- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens, 12MP Telephoto camera with f/2.0 aperture with 4x optical zoom range and Digital zoom up to 10x, Night mode portraits enabled by LiDAR Scanner
- iPhone 12 Pro Max – 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, 1.7μm pixel size, Sensor-shift optical image stabilisation, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens, 12MP Telephoto camera with f/2.2 aperture with 2.5x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out, 5x optical zoom range and Digital zoom up to 12x, Night mode portraits enabled by LiDAR Scanner
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- iPhone 12 Pro dimensions: 146.7 ×71.5×7.4mm; Weight: 187grams
- iPhone 12 Pro Max dimensions: 160.8 ×78.1×7.4mm; Weight: 226grams
- Stereo speakers
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 17 hours (iPhone 12 Pro) / 20 hours (iPhone 12 Pro Max) of video playback