IFixit has finally made it to Huawei’s new flagship, the Huawei Mate 40 Pro. They disassembled it and delivered a disappointing verdict: if something breaks, then it will not be so easy to fix the device. Perhaps that is why Huawei offers its flagship in the home market right away with a free screen replacement within a year if it breaks. The display in this model is not easy to replace for two reasons.
iFixit: Replacing Huawei Mate 40 Pro components is very difficult
First, it’s incredibly firmly glued in. Second, the screen cannot be replaced without removing the battery. “Regardless of how you cut it out, replacing the display in the Mate 40 Pro is going to be horrible” – that’s how the disassemblers comment on it.
What else did they dislike? For example, glass on the front and back panels doubles the chances of damage to your smartphone if dropped. And the glass here, you must understand, is not as strong as in the iPhone 12. Not Ceramic Shield. The battery itself is fairly easy to get to, but you have to deal with a lot of different cables and covers to access it.
Among the advantages of the design are standard screws and modular components, which are easy to change. But these advantages are few, so the final rating of the Mate 40 Pro maintainability is only 4 points out of 10.
HUAWEI Mate 40 Pro and Mate 40 Pro+ specifications
- 6.76-inch (2772 x 1344 Pixels) FHD+ OLED display,90 Hz refresh rate
- HUAWEI Kirin 9000 5G (1 x Cortex-A77 3.13 GHz + 3 x Cortex-A77 2.54 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 2.05 GHz) processor; with ARM Mali-G78 MP24 GPU,Dual Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs (Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB RAM, 256GB storage (Mate 40 Pro) / 12GB RAM, 256GB storage (Mate 40 Pro+)
- Android 10 with EMUI 11
- Mate 40 Pro — 50MP RYYB Ultra Vision camera with f/1.9 aperture, OIS, 20MP ultra-wide Cine camera with f/1.8 aperture, 12MP telephoto camera with 5x optical zoom, OIS, Laser sensor, LED flash
- Mate 40 Pro+ — 50MP RYYB Ultra Vision camera with f/1.9 aperture, OIS, 20MP Ultra-wide Cine camera with f/1.8 aperture, 12MP telephoto camera with 5x optical zoom, OIS, 8MP periscope camera with 10x Optical Zoom, OIS, 3D Depth Sensing ToF Camera, LED flash
- 13MP front camera with f/2.4 aperture, 3D Depth Sensing ToF Camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers
- Water-resistant (IP68)
- Mate 40 Pro – Dimensions:162.9×74.5×9.1mm(Glass) / 9.5mm (Leather); Weight: 212g
- Mate 40 Pro+ – Dimensions:162.9×74.5×8.8mm; Weight: 230g
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual-band), NavIC, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4400mAh (typical) battery with 66W HUAWEI SuperCharge, 50W Wireless HUAWEI SuperCharge