According to an interesting yet funny report, an operator in Mexico is blocking the dual-SIM tray of a Xiaomi phone. According to XiaomiAdictos, Mexican telecommunications operator, Telcel, is employing unethical behavior by blocking the dual-SIM function of the Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro. Some users claim that the supplier uses glue and plastic sheets to physically prevent the use of the Mi 10T Pro’s dual SIM cards. The report also claims that the operator also blocks this feature using a software.
A user, Foxhoundelta said:
For anyone from Mexico, if they buy the Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro with Telcel and they tell them that it is supposedly not dual SIM, ignore them. The equipment is totally dual SIM, the tray where the chip is inserted has the second compartment covered with plastic and glue. If you can remove it, you can use it but you will have to change the ROM which is a mess…
Telcel is part of América Móvil, a company with more than 280 million wireless users. From reports, this is not the first time that there will be reports of irregular practices with this company. The Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro product page on Telcel’s website does not say anything about the dual SIM card. However, Xiaomi clearly states that the availability of dual SIM card support “may vary between different markets”.
Gizchina News of the week
Irrespective of Xiaomi’s statement, telecommunications providers should not physically tamper with smartphone devices without the end user’s knowledge. According to XiaomiAdictos, Telcel is doing this with most of Xiaomi’s devices.
Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro specifications
- 6.67-inch (2340 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ LCD screen with 144Hz refresh rate…500 nits (typ) / 650 nits max brightness, HDR10, MEMC, 98% DCI-P3 Color Gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core (1 x 2.84GHz + 3 x 2.42GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 6GB / 8GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 128GB (UFS 3.1) storage for 10T / 8GB LPPDDR5 RAM with 128GB / 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage for 10T Pro
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 12 based on Android 10
- 108MP rear camera with Samsung HMX 1/ 1.33″ sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.69 aperture, OIS, LED flash, 13MP 123° ultra-wide angle lens, 5MP macro lens, 8K video recording
- 20MP front-facing camera with Samsung S5K3T2 sensor, f/2.2 aperture
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers, Hi-res audio
- Dimensions: 165.1×76.4×9.33mm; Weight: 218g (Mi 10T Pro) ; 216g (Mi 10T)
- 5G SA/NSA Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz) 4×4 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1 + L5), NFC, USB Type-C
- 5000mAh (Typical) / 4920mAh (minimum) battery with 33W fast charging