After the ban on Huawei by the U.S., as a countermeasure, the company unveiled HarmonyOS (Hongmeng OS). This operating system is currently running on devices like smart TVs, watches, etc. However, it is not entirely ready for smartphones. According to recent reports, Huawei has completed the Harmony OS 2.0 developer beta 2 testings. The reports also claim that the Huawei P50 works seamlessly with the beta 2. In addition, the Harmony OS 2.0 developer beta 3 is now active.
According to Huawei, Harmony OS is a full-scenario distributed operating system for the Internet of Things (IoT) era. The company also hopes to work with partners and developers to create a super terminal experience for the IoT era.
The Huawei P50 is obviously not the first device to come with the Harmony OS 2.0. However, it is obviously the first smartphone to pre-install this system.
Huawei launched the HarmonyOS 2.0 mobile development version for developers in mid-December 2020. This beta is already available for some Huawei devices like Huawei P40, Mate 30, and MatePad Pro. In addition, Yu Chengdong also stated that Huawei’s flagship mobile phone will begin to upgrade the Hongmeng system in April.
At the end of January, Huawei held the pollen annual meeting. Wang Chenglu, president of Huawei’s consumer business software department, introduced the progress of HarmonyOS. He said that one of the most important innovations of Harmony OS is that wireless connection replaces traditional hardware, which can achieve functional differentiation. He also said earlier that Hongmeng OS will cover 300-400 million devices this year.
[Introduction to HarmonyOS 2.0]
The Harmony OS 2.0 mobile phone developer Beta version improves the following features:
- 15000 + APIs (support the development of mobile phone/PAD, large screen, wearable, car and machine applications)
- Distributed application framework
- Distributed UI controls
- DevEco Studio 2.0 Beta3
Mobile developer beta main features
- Brand new mobile phone UI controls, adding 50+ UI controls for developers to develop mobile HarmonyOS applications. It also unifies the UI interaction experience of multiple devices.
- The HarmonyOS application framework supports mobile phones and rapid migration. It also supports swift connection and circulation. There is a no-installation loading of HarmonyOS applications on multiple devices.
- Provides Windows and Mac platform development and compilation toolchain experience. This is convenient for developers to quickly develop HarmonyOS applications.
- Provides 40+ Sample Codes for mobile developers. This is convenient for developers to quickly understand and adapt to HarmonyOS interfaces and development methods.
- Distributed capability interfaces such as multi-modal perception support multiple usage scenarios.
- Offers a standard input method framework and capabilities
- Provide standardized telephone system interface capabilities.
- Uses a barrier-free development framework
- Provides standardized distributed data management capabilities. Developers can call standardized distributed DB interfaces to realize real-time data synchronization between devices.
- Enhance the account system capabilities, and include accountless devices into the HarmonyOS system.