Despite the fact that Xiaomi Mi 11 has been on sale for several months, the smartphone has only got to iFixit specialists now. Alas, users (current or future) of this model have nothing to please: 4 points out of 10 for maintainability does not bode well in the event of a breakdown.
However, we can start with the pros. First, an ordinary screwdriver is enough for disassembly. Secondly, the body panels are not strongly glued together, and most of the components inside are modular. The battery and display can be replaced independently of each other.
Xiaomi Mi 11 maintainability test
The downside is that the USB-C port and the SIM card reader are located on the daughterboard. And if the second one is unlikely to break, then USB-C is most susceptible to wear and tear, so, ideally, it should be a separate component – inexpensive if replaced. At the same time, there are many other components inside the smartphone, and in order to get to the battery, you will have to deal with numerous cables and glues.
In order to get the screen, you have to use a special tool. In addition, there is a high risk of damage to the display during this procedure. It would seem, what’s the difference if smartphones with damaged displays usually come for repair? For example, a situation may occur when you have to replace the sub-screen fingerprint scanner, and this can only be done after removing the display itself. Which, in turn, is fraught with its breakdown.
In general, it is better to handle the Xiaomi Mi 11 with care, and to carry the smartphone in a protective case. Then the risk of getting into expensive repairs is minimal. Recall that recently, iFixit specialists disassembled the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra, and it performed even worse, gaining only 3 points out of 10 for maintainability.
Xiaomi Mi 11 specifications
- 6.81-inch (3200×1440 pixels) Quad HD+ AMOLED 20:9 HDR10 + display with 120Hz refresh rate, 1500nit (HBM) / 900nit (Typ) brightness, 5000000:1 (Min) contrast ratio, MEMC, 100% DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB LPPDDR5 3200MHz RAM with 128GB / 256GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 12 based on Android 11
- 108MP rear camera with 1/ 1.33″ Samsung sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.85 aperture, OIS, LED flash, 13MP 123° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.4 aperture, 5MP telemacro camera with f/2.4 aperture, 8k at 30fps, 4k 60fps, 960fps at 720p
- 20MP front-facing camera with 0.8μm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture
- In-screen fingerprint sensor with heart rate monitoring, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Hi-Res audio, Dual speakers, SOUND BY Harman Kardon
- Dimensions: 164.3x 74.6 x 8.06mm; Weight: 196g
- 5G SA/NSA Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax 8 x / MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1 + L5), NFC, USB Type-C
- 4600mAh (Typical) / 4500mAh (Minimum) battery with 55W wired QC4+ / QC3+ / PD3.0, 50W wireless fast charging, 10w wireless reverse charging