We’re used to seeing ASUS unveiling its ROG Phone series during the second quarter or even at the third quarter every year. However, the company decided to bring its gaming phone to Q1 to compete with the likes of Black Shark and Red Magic. For that reason, the company unveiled the ROG Phone 5 lineup a little bit earlier this year. Shortly after the release, the devices were contemplated by a software update. It came to address some issues that have escaped the pre-launch phase. The update improved system stability, the camera experience, Armoury Crate more. Two weeks later, the company rolled out a second update with more bug fixes and improvements. Unfortunately, the update didn’t address a particular problem – the device came with outdated January 2021 security patches. Now, ASUS is rolling out a new update that introduces March 2021 security patches.
Gizchina News of the week
I might say that with just a few days remaining in April, having a March 2021 security patch is far from ideal. However, that is still better than having January 2021 patch. Moreover, the firmware brings bug fixes and improves performance further. The build is rolling out for the ASUS ROG Phone 5 and its variants with version number 18.0840.2103.26. It includes Android security patches for March 2021 and a new “Visual enhancement” display setting in the scenario profile for a couple of popular games. As aforementioned, the update also irons some bugs remaining in the smartphone.
ASUS ROG Phone 5 update changelog
- Updated Android security patch to 2021-03
- Support “Visual enhancement” display setting in the scenario profile of Arena of Valor, PUBG, and Call of Duty Mobile
- Steady Charging supports a wider range: within or outside scheduled charging period
- Adjusted the visual movement logic of Always-on Panel
- Fixes the bug where exiting a game through gestures, the popup toast would be cut off by the edge of the display
- Fix the issue where Google News could cause a sudden reboot
- Fixed the issue where Always-on display would continuously be in low brightness
- Fixes an issue of the ROG Vision console disappearing after the phone is connected to a USB Type-C dongle
- Optimizes the time to reconnect to the internet after switching to Wi-Fi
- Optimizes restart speed
- Fixes an issue where refusing the permission request of “Music” atmospheric lights twice in a row, the “Music” atmospheric lights cannot be turned on
- Fixes the issue of distorted or missing pictures of ‘People’ albums in the wallpaper carousel
The new firmware update is rolling out in batches. It may be a while before it lands on your ROG Phone 5. You can head on over to the “System updates” section in the handset to check if the latest firmware is available for your device or not.