Apple released this Thursday (29) a new firmware update for the Apple Watch, the manufacturer’s popular smartwatch. The new firmware has been updated to watchOS 7.6.1 version. Unfortunately, it does not bring any new features for users but comes with important fixes security, and general improvements, including fixing user-reported bugs. Interestingly, version 7.6 of the update was rolled out recently by the company. It brought new features and ECG functionality to many regions.
The Cupertino Giant advises everyone to update to the latest version. After all, it brings important fixes for some vulnerabilities in the firmware. The list of new goodies includes the memory-related issue that could be exploited by third parties. As usual, the update is free and is now officially available for everyone. Apple recommends users to have at least 50% of battery and place the smartwatch in the charger during the installation process. Check the how-to, below.
How to Install watch OS 7.6.1
- Plug your Apple Watch into the charger
- Go to the Watch app on your iPhone and go to ‘General’
- Tap on ‘Software Update’ and check if a new version is available
- Download and install (must keep pairing with a smartphone)
watchOS 8 progresses to beta 4
While the company brings important updates to make watchOS 7 stable, it is also working on the next big thing in the form of watchOS 8. The company started the watchOS 8 beta testing program last June 30 with beta 2. Through beta 2, Apple has brought out the new “Portraits” display, which is one of the many features available in the upcoming operating system. Then, the company rolled out beta 3, which fixed the bugs and enhanced the overall experience.
Among the notable new features, watchOS includes new built-in applications. These apps take advantage of the always-on screen used from the Apple Watch Series 5 onwards. There is also a new way for programmers to access the always-on display. Most recently the company rolled out the fourth beta which enhances the watchOS 8 experience.
Here are some of the main features coming with watchOS 8.
- There is a new version of the Breathing app, now called Mindfulness;
- Respiratory rate measuring during sleep monitoring;
- Revised photographs with highlights and memoirs;
- Photos can now be shared from the watch with the Messages or Mail app on watchOS 8;
- Scribble now lets you include emoji in handwritten messages;
- Application shelf in iMessage includes image search and quick access to photos;
- Find now includes Objects (including AirTags);
- Weather includes next hour’s precipitation;
- Apple Watch can make multiple timers for the first time;
- Tips are now available on the Apple Watch;
- Music can be shared from Apple Watch via the Messaging app.