Xiaomi never was a company known for updating the underlying Android version of its smartphones often. However, this has been changing in the recent times. The company always did a great job updating MIUI on older smartphones. It achieved such feat even without messing with the Android version, now, however, Xiaomi has been trying to update most of its devices to ensure they will run updated MIUI and Android in the same time. Today, a set of devices under the company’s “budget portfolio” are receiving Android 11 and MIUI 12.5 update treatment. The Redmi 8, Redmi 8A Dual can be considered devices in the entry-level segment, but still, they are receiving update treatment worthy of many flagships in the industry.
Redmi 8, Redmi 8A and Redmi 8A Dual join the list of devices running MIUI 12.5
The Redmi 8, Redmi 8A, and Redmi 8A Dual were originally released with Android 9 Pie, they received Android 10 and now are receiving their second major update with Android 11. Moreover, Xiaomi is also seeding the MIUI 12.5, which also turns out to be the latest version available of its proprietary skin. Worth noting, that the update carries all the goodies introduced with Android 11 and MIUI 12.5 and the update carries July 2021 security patch.
Gizchina News of the week
At the time of this writing, the MIUI 12.5 update is rolling out for the standard Redmi 8 model with firmware version V18.104.22.168.QCNINXM. For the Redmi 8A it comes with build V22.214.171.124.QCPINXM and the Redmi 8A is receiving it with V126.96.36.199.QCQINXM build number. The biggest changes include new Notes App with new tools for sketches, dynamic layouts and more. As far as the underlying Android version goes, it brings one-time permissions for microphone and camera, smart device controls, clipbord access alerts, Chat Bubbles and much more. Check the changelog below:
- Response to gestures is now instant.
- 20x more rendering power, there are now few limits to what you can see on your screen.
- Custom device model adjustments, any phone becomes faster after the upgrade.
- Optimization: MIUI became lighter, faster, and more durable.
- Android Security Patch to July 2021. Increases system security.
- Compose mind maps with complex structures.
- New tools for doodling and sketching.
- Press and hold a sketch to adjust the strokes automatically.
- A gesture shortcut now allows you to create notes, tasks, and excerpts anywhere.
- Excerpts save text, URLs, and images to Notes in a few simple taps.
- Dynamic layouts bring the typography in Notes to a new level.
- All-new Notes.
As usual in these updates, they are rolling out in an incremental form. Therefore users need to be patient and wait for the update notification.