Yesterday, some images of a ZTE offline store appeared online. While there is nothing special about the offline store, the advertisement poster contains something “funny”. The poster shows that the purchase of a ZTE smartphone will give the buyer “Xiaomi”. Ordinarily, many will think that ZTE is crazy to give a “Xiaomi device” for buying a ZTE smartphone. However, this is far from it. The “Xiaomi” in the poster does not mean the Xiaomi brand, it actually means the “grain” that the Chinese eat.
Literally, Xiaomi (小米) means “millet”. Some translations consider the word to be “little rice”. Whatever the case may be, Xiaomi is also a staple of the Chinese diet.
The poster also specifically promotes the ZTE Axon 30 under-screen version. This smartphone is the latest new generation of under-screen camera phones from ZTE. The initial price is 2,198 yuan ($339) for the 6GB+128GB model.
The low-screen version of this smartphone will increase the pixel density of the screen area of the front camera. According to the company, the pixel density will exceed 400 PPI. At this level, it will be difficult to see the physical sensor under the display. This means that the under-screen camera at the top of the screen is almost invisible.
In terms of the core configuration, the lower version of ZTE Axon 30 uses a 6.92-inch 120Hz display. Under the hood, this device comes with the Qualcomm Snapdragon 870 flagship processor. It also uses up to 12GB of RAM and 256GB of internal storage. This device also uses a Sony 64MP AI quad-camera, 4200 mAh battery, and supports a 55W fast charge.
According to a ZTE executive, another version of the Axon 30 will arrive in the next three quarters. This version should be an all-purpose under-screen camera phone with a better display. However, the price of this smartphone will also increase to about 5,000 yuan ($772).
ZTE AXON 30 specifications
- 6.92-inch (2460 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ OLED 20.5:9 10-bit display, 120Hz refresh rate, 360Hz Touch Sampling, 100% DCI-P3 color gamut
- Octa Core (1 x 3.2GHz + 3 x 2.42GHz + 4 x 1.8GHz Hexa) Snapdragon 870 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB (UFS 3.1) storage / 12GB LPDDR5 RAM with 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 11 with MyOS11
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 64MP rear camera with LED flash, 8MP 119° Ultra Wide Lens, 5MP 3cm macro and 2MP depth sensor with f/2.4 aperture
- 16MP under-screen front-facing camera
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 170.2×77.8×7.8mm; Weight: 189g
- USB Type-C audio, DTS:X Ultra
- 5G SA/NSA (n1/n3/n28/n41/n78 for China), Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/GLONASS, USB Type-C, NFC
- 4200mAh (typical) / 4100mAh (minimum) battery with 55W fast charging