And all because the reason for pride and marketing advantage is strange. If you thought that marketers were trying to show off the Google Pixel 5a camera, a capacious battery, or the IP67 waterproof rating, then you are wrong. The guys at Google decided that the 3.5mm headphone jack these days is the thing that is worth promoting and convincing users how cool it is.
Google published a strange ad for the Pixel 5a 5G smartphone
The ad creators even inserted footage of the space station docking to highlight the “pleasant feeling” that the user will get from the process of connecting the headphones to the smartphone. The two-minute video highlights how delightful, innovative, thoughtful and superb in every way the 3.5mm headphone jack solution in the Google Pixel 5a.
Interestingly, the voice-over is suspiciously similar to Joni Ive’s voice. According to them, this was on purpose and this is how subtly Google is trying to troll Apple.
And in order to convey the spirit of the video and all the pathos that permeates it, we have a description of the video, created by Google employees:
“Calling this perfectly-symmetrical, technological marvel, a “headphone jack” may feel like an understatement…but technically, that’s what it’s called, so… fair enough. Behold! The Headphone Jack, on the Google Pixel 5a with 5G”.
And this isn’t the first time the company has tried to go over the topic of the 3.5mm headphone jack. Introducing the first generation of Pixel in 2016, Google did not miss the opportunity to prick Apple for ditching the 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPhone. But the very next year it did the same, and the amputation of the analog audio jack in Pixel 2 seemed to it then a logical and correct step.
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the Google Pixel 5a 5G smartphone.
Google Pixel 5a 5G specifications
- 6.34-inch (2400 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ OLED HDR display, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform; with Adreno 620 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM, 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage
- Android 11
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12.2MP rear camera with f/1.7 aperture, LED flash, OIS, 16MP 107° Ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 8MP front camera with 84° ultra-wide lens, f/2.0 aperture
- Pixel Imprint – Rear-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Water and dust Resistant (IP67)
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speakers, 2 microphones
- Dimensions: 154.9 x 73.7 x 7.6mm; Weight: 185g
- 5G SA/NA 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac 2×2 MIMO (2.4/5 GHz), Bluetooth 5.1 LE, GPS, USB Type-C 3.1 Gen 1, NFC
- 4,680mAh (Typical) / 4620mAh (minimum) battery with 18W USB-PD 2.0 fast charging