At the launch event of the iPhone 13 series, Apple also unveiled the iPad mini 6 in September this year. Just like the iPhone 13 series, the iPad mini 6 also comes with the A15 Bionic processor. However, it appears that the company will still unveil an upgrade of this device. According to insider reports, Samsung has commenced the supply of 8.3-inch display panels to Apple for a new iPad mini. This display is just like the iPad mini 6 display but the screen refresh rate increases from 60Hz to 120Hz (ProMotion). There are unconfirmed reports that Apple will name this device iPad mini 6 Pro.
This nomenclature seems logical since Apple already has Pro models for its tablets, smartphones, and Mac computers. Moreso, most of these Pro models come with the 120Hz ProMotion dynamic refresh rate. In addition, the increased refresh rate may solve the “jelly scroll” problem (sliding does not follow the hand) that some iPad mini 6 users have reported.
The iPad mini Pro will retain the A15 Bionic flagship processor as well as 4GB of RAM. However, the starting internal storage for this device will be 128GB. In terms of price, the iPad mini 6 64GB Wi-Fi version costs about $630. This means that the iPad mini 6 Pro will certainly cost above $650.
Apple iPad Mini (6th Gen) specifications
- 8.3-inch (2266 x 1488 pixels) Retina display with P3 Color Gamut, 500 nits brightness, 326 PPI, True Tone display
- Six-Core A15 (2 performance and 4 efficiency cores) Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, 5‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
- 64GB/256GB variants
- iPadOS 15
- 12MP camera with f/1.8 aperture, 5P lens, Quad-LED True Tone flash
- 12MP 122° Ultra Wide front camera with f/2.4 aperture, Retina Flash
- Dual microphones for calls, Stereo speakers
- Touch ID
- Dimensions: 195.4x 134.8×6.3mm; Weight: 293g (WiFi) / 297g (5G)
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS with GLONASS, USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 (up to 5 Gbps)
- 19.3-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery with Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
Over the last few years, Apple has not been bringing many upgrades to its devices. However, it appears that the company is now making some major changes. The use of the 120Hz ProMotion display for most of its flagships is very commendable. Also, the company is increasing the battery capacity of its device, this is also another good thing for Apple customers. Hopefully, Apple will soon consider the high fast-charging capacity for its iPhones and tablets.