At Sony’s new product launch conference today, the company officially released the Sony Xperia 1 IV 16GB + 512GB version as well as the Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition. The company also released an exclusive accessory – the gaming fan docking station, Xperia Stream. The configurations of the two new smartphones are almost the same as the original versions. However, there are some upgrades to the gaming version.
New Xperia 1 IV models price
- Xperia 1 IV 16GB + 512GB: 174,900 yen ($1225)
- Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition (16GB + 512GB version + fan docking station): 189200 yen ($1325)
Sony Xperia 1 IV 16GB + 512GB version
The Sony Xperia 1 IV uses the same 6.5-inch 4K AMOLED display as the previous generation. This device comes with a 21:9 screen ratio and supports a 120Hz refresh rate. In addition, this device also comes with a 50% increase in screen brightness. In terms of configuration, the Sony Xperia 1 IV uses the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 flagship processor. This flagship smartphone also comes with 16GB of RAM and 512GB of internal storage. Furthermore, the internal storage can be expanded through the MicroSD slot and it runs the Android 12 system.
In the camera department, the Sony Xperia 1 IV uses a 1/1.7-inch sensor main camera and supports optical image stabilization (OIS). The ultra-wide-angle camera is a 1/2.5-inch sensor that supports autofocus. The periscope telephoto camera is a 1/3.5-inch sensor that also supports OIS and autofocus.
Sony says the three cameras support 4K video capture at 120 frames per second. Also, all the sensors support optical image stabilization with FlawlessEye, eye autofocus, and real-time object tracking and autofocus. All cameras are also able to utilize image stacking to expand dynamic range and are capable of 20 fps burst shooting with autofocus/AE and HDR enabled. An RGB infrared sensor on the back feeds the AI algorithm that controls the camera’s white balance, and there’s a 3D ToF sensor.
Sony Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition
The Sony Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition is one of the most expensive Sony smartphones on the market. This device is even more expensive than the iPhone 14 Pro in Japan.
The Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition can be regarded as the top version of the Xperia 1 IV. It is equipped with 16GB of large memory and 512GB of storage. However, other parameters are the same as the Xperia 1 IV. Specifically, the Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition uses a 6.5-inch 4K OLED full screen and is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 flagship processor. Under the hood, this gaming smartphone has a decent 5000mAh battery and supports IP68 dust and water resistance.
Xperia Stream Gaming Fan Dock
It’s worth noting that Sony has created an accessory specifically for the Xperia 1 IV Gaming Edition – the Xperia Stream Gaming Fan Dock. This accessory adopts a full-body cooling solution. The airflow can cover the entire back of the phone, and the airflow dissipates to the front of the phone screen through a special air duct design. This effectively dissipates the heat such that there is no concentration of heat on the rear.
Gizchina News of the week
In the Xperia 1 IV’s Game Booster, the fans support both automatic and manual control. The Xperia 1 IV with Xperia Stream also provide players with a longer high-definition gaming experience when gaming at high-definition settings.
According to the company, the Xperia Stream was jointly developed by Sony and the well-known Japanese e-sports team SCARZ. The product design provides a comfortable grip and is easy to disassemble. The expansion ports are located under the center of the Xperia Stream, avoiding cable tangle interference and immersive gaming fun.
The Xperia Stream has a LAN cable interface, a USB Type-C interface, an HDMI interface and a 3.5 mm audio interface. Users can connect to the wired network through the LAN network cable interface. This can realize low latency and stable network connection.
This flagship smartphone also comes with an HDMI interface that can output 120Hz high frame rate pictures. The USB Type-C interface can power Xperia 1 IV and Xperia Stream at the same time, achieving a stable gaming experience and high-quality real-time live broadcast. Also, with the 3.5 mm headphone jack, you can enjoy a low-latency, high-quality audio experience when you chat with teammates or live broadcast in real-time. Finally, with respect to the release time, Xperia Stream will be officially available in Japan on September 15.
Sony Xperia 1 IV other upgrades
In other respects, the battery capacity of the Sony Xperia 1 IV has been increased by 500 mAh. This smartphone supports 30W fast charging. This may not be the fastest charging capacity in the industry but it delivers 50% in 30 minutes. This smartphone also supports Qi protocol wireless charging. In addition, the Sony Xperia 1 IV still retains the front-facing stereo speakers with some upgrades. There is now a 10% increase in maximum volume and 20 – 50% more bass. For wireless audio, the phone is one of the first phones to support the new Bluetooth LE Audio technology, which supports LDAC Bluetooth audio transmission.
Sony Xperia 1 IV specifications (regular model)
- 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 120Hz refresh rate, 240Hz Motion blur reduction, 240Hz Touch scanning rate, Creator mode “powered by CineAlta”—Inspired by Master Monitor color reproduction, DCI-P3 100%, ITU-R BT.2020 (REC.2020), Illuminant D65 White point, 10 bit tonal gradation, X1 for mobile, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 512GB (UFS 3.1) internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 12
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.7 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2″124° 16 mm ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.3 (85 mm 28° FoV), f/2.8 (125 mm 20° FoV) 1/3.5″ telephoto lens, 3.5-5x optical zoom, 3D iToF sensor, ZEISS T* coating, Real-Time Eye AF (Human, Animal), Real-Time Tracking, 4K video recording
- 12MP front-facing camera with 1/2.9″ Exmor RS mobile sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 84° wide-angle lens, 4K video recording
- 3.5 mm audio jack, 360 Reality Audio, 360 Reality Audio hardware decoding, 360 Spatial Sound19, Full-Stage stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 165.1 × 71.12 × 7.62mm; Weight: 187.1g
- Water resistant (IPX5/IPX8), Dust proof (IP6X)
- 5G (sub-6GHz / mmWave) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 5000mAh Battery with 30W (USB PD) fast charging, Xperia Adaptive Charging, Battery Care, STAMINA Mode, Qi Wireless charging, Battery Share function