Xiaomi is known for pushing the boundaries when it comes to smartphone cameras, and the upcoming Xiaomi 14 and Xiaomi 14 Pro are no exception. According to recent reports from popular Weibo tipster, @Digital Chat Station (DCS), both phones are expected to feature periscope cameras with up to 5x optical zoom. This will make them ideal for capturing distant subjects in stunning detail. Recall that the Xiaomi 13 series do not come with such a periscope sensor. Thus, this is an upgrade in the coming Xiaomi 14 series. It will be the first time that a Xiaomi digital series will use such a sensor.
Xiaomi 14 and Xiaomi 14 Pro camera details
The Xiaomi 14 and Xiaomi 14 Pro are expected to take things to the next level with their periscope cameras. In addition to the periscope camera, @DCS also claims that both mobile phones will upgrade their optical zoon sensors. Furthermore, there are rumours that the Xiaomi 14 will support 3.9x optical zoom and a 90mm focal length. In addition, the Xiaomi 14 Pro will support 5x optical zoom and a 115mm focal length. This is a pretty decent upgrade from the Xiaomi 13 series which supports only 3.2x optical zoom and 75mm focal length.
The leak from the Chinese tipster did not mention anything with regard to the specific camera sensors. Over the years, leaks from @DCS have proven to be decent. Thus, there is a high possibility that the Xiaomi 14 series will use the 5x periscope sensor.
A few days ago, the Xiaomi 14 and 14 Pro appeared on IMEI database website. The listing reveals that these devices have model numbers 23116PN5BC and 23116PN5BG for the Pro models and 23127PN0CC and 23127PN0CG for the vanilla models. While one of the model numbers will be for the Chinese market, the other will be for the global market.
How a periscope camera works
A periscope camera is a type of camera that uses a prism or a combination of mirrors to bend light and provide a longer focal length, allowing for greater optical zoom without the need for a bulky lens. Here’s how it works:
- A periscope camera uses a prism or mirrors to reflect light at a 90-degree angle.
- The light then travels through a tunnel, which can be longer than the thickness of the phone, allowing for a longer focal length.
- The light then reaches the camera sensor, which captures the image.
Periscope cameras are becoming increasingly popular in smartphones, as they allow for greater optical zoom without compromising on the size and weight of the device. They are typically used in telephoto lenses and can provide up to 10x optical zooming on smartphones while minimizing noise. The periscope lens would likely be limited to the telephoto camera, as this technology works best.
Gizchina News of the week
Benefits of periscope cameras
Periscope cameras are becoming increasingly popular in mobile phones and for good reason. They use a prism to reflect light at a 90-degree angle, allowing for a longer focal length and therefore greater optical zoom without the need for a bulky lens. This makes them ideal for capturing distant subjects in stunning detail, whether you’re taking photos of wildlife, landscapes, or cityscapes.
Periscope cameras offer several pros over regular mobile phone cameras, including:
- Greater optical zoom: Periscope cameras can provide up to 10x optical zooming on smartphones while minimizing noise, which is higher compared to a phone with a regular 2X telephoto camera with the lens elements stacked vertically. This allows users to capture distant objects or scenery very much on par with a point-and-shoot camera without any lens’s actual movement.
- Lossless zoom: The zoom becomes optical and there is no loss of quality.
- Compact size: Periscope lenses are the ideal solution for further zooming without making the phone any thicker.
- High – quality zoom: A good periscope camera outperforms a good regular optical zoom camera.
- Innovative engineering: In the face of mobile phones having been hampered by small sensors and slender frames for years, it’s incredible to see the degree of ingenuity engineers have applied to deliver periscope cameras.
- Ideal for flagship phones: Periscope cameras are limited to flagship phones as they are quite an expensive process.
Generally, periscope cameras are ideal for users who want to capture high – quality zoom shots. The sensor will capture these shots without loss of quality. Also, the size and weight of the mobile phone remain within a decent range.
Xiaomi has a history of packing its mobile phones with decent camera tech. In 2022, the company was rumoured to be considering a 200MP camera for its next Ultra phone. While that didn’t come to fruition, the current Xiaomi 13 Ultra boasts a massive 50MP camera. In fact, all four cameras on the rear of this device use a 50MP sensor. Thus, it is not entirely a surprise that the Xiaomi 14 series will pack a decent periscope camera.
The Xiaomi 14 and Xiaomi 14 Pro are shaping up to be good mobile phones. With its periscope cameras offering up to 5x optical zoom and high focal lengths, it is a device to watch out for. While we’ll have to wait for the official release to see how they perform in the real world, Xiaomi’s track record suggests that they’ll be more than capable of capturing high – quality photos and videos. What do you think about the Xiaomi 14 leaks and rumours so far? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below