Getting your brand noticed in a market full of a number of capable tops and mid-range devices requires a change in strategy. Samsung and other brands are towing this line, and today at the MWC19, the Japanese giant is hoping that it turns around its mobile business with the launch of the Xperia 1, its new flagship phone and two other capable mid-rangers.
The Xperia 10 and 10 plus as well as the Xperia 1 use the 21:9 aspect ratio, so the Japanse major is hoping that more users will watch movies on these devices, especially at a time two of the major video provider like the Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube, and Sony Pictures are shifting to the 21:9 aspect ratio. With this choice of design, the Xperia 1 surely looks slim and tall, having expunged its blocky signature design with 16:9 aspect ratio.
Aspect ratio aside, the Xperia 1 features a 6.5-inch edge-to-edge 4K HDR OLED panel, with no notch, but with a bit of top bezel. Sony says its display is ideal for videos and movies, thanks to Sony’s Bravia engine for High Dynamic Range from its TV lineup, and further aided by the presence of Dolby Atmos.
On the rear side, the Xperia 1 tri-camera system comprising of a trio of a 12MP 26mm wide lens (with OIS), a 52mm telephoto lens (also with OIS), and a 16mm superwide lens. Drawing on the Alpha line of interchangeable lens cameras, this allows for sharp focus at eye level (Eye AF) and continuous burst shooting with up to 10 FPS AF/AE tracking.
Just like other top-end smartphones that just emanated from the MWC19, the Sony Xperia 1is powered by Snapdragon 855 coupled with 6GB of RAM, and 128GB of storage, and water resistance. The device has a side-mounted fingerprint reader similar to the Galaxy S10e, which is quite disappointing given that its contenders opted for the in-display option.
Sony Xperia 1 specifications
- 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, TRILUMINOS Display for mobile, X-Reality for mobile, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB RAM, 128GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 512GB via microSD card
- Android 9.0 (Pie)
- Single / Dual SIM
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/2.6″ sensor, f/1.6 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 1.4μm pixel size, Predictive capture, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 1.0μm 135° ultra wide-angle, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 1.0μm 45° telephoto lens, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 2x optical zoom, 960 fps Super slow motion
- 8MP front-facing camera with 1/ 4″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, 84° wide-angle lens
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speaker, DSEE HX, LDAC, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 167 x 72 x 8.2mm
- Water Resistant (IP65/IP68)
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 3300mAh Battery with Qnovo Adaptive Charging technology, Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0, Qi Wireless charging
the device is priced at £799 /US$ 1,045 and will go on sale in late spring in Black, Purple, Grey, and White color options.