According to recent reports out of China, TCL Huaxing has developed a single-point LCD on-screen fingerprint technology. The report claims that the full-screen single-point on-screen fingerprint technology will be official this year. As for the full-screen multi-point on-screen fingerprint technology, it will have to wait until 2021. According to the company, it spent two years trying to deliver the LCD on-screen fingerprint technology.
The R&D team successfully solved the development of BLU films and the improvement of TPM brightness. The company developed an on-screen fingerprint solution for LCD panels, which can clearly identify the fingerprint of the LCD panel. It was also able to improve the infrared sensor recognition accuracy. The company did this through continuous reformation and attempts of the LCD backlight board.
At present, the Wuhan Huaxing LCD on-screen fingerprint technology is at mass-production levels. According to reports, the TCL Huaxing on-screen fingerprint solution comes with the following five advantages:
- High brightness: The brightness of the module can reach more than 450nits. While displaying more image details, it can effectively solve the problem of the serious loss of brightness in the off-screen fingerprint recognition technology. This also brings a smooth viewing and gaming experience.
- Ultra-high fingerprint recognition rate: The fingerprint recognition rate (FRR) is <3%, reaching the highest FRR standard in the industry. According to the company, its FRR can reach the level of OLED. It even hopes that it can exceed what OLED panels offer.
- Super high screen ratio: the screen area of the display area is about 92%. This is certainly a good display area for maximum workability
- New unlocking experience: Use unlocking or consumption functions to be more intuitive, avoid accidental touches, streamline the buttons of mobile phone accessories, and improve the overall appearance.
- The lines of the OLED recognition area are visible, but the fingerprint recognition lines under the LCD screen are not visible.
LCD on-screen fingerprint technology – will it ever become popular?
This is not the first time that we are getting reports of a Chinese manufacturer with an LCD on-screen fingerprint technology. Last year, there were reports that Xiaomi will release a smartphone with this technology this year. We do not know if that is still going to happen. Furthermore, there were also reports of Huawei having an LCD display with a fingerprint sensor. However, we are yet to see the preponderance of this technology. We will have to keep our fingers crossed and watch how far TCL goes with this technology.