OnePlus is one of the companies with the best track record of providing updates for old handsets. Apart from supporting current models, the company provides updates for at least two generations of its older handsets. For instance, even the old OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T from 2017 is running the latest OxygenOS 10 update based on Android 10. We don’t know if these devices will get future updates for Android 11, but as far the last year’s OnePlus 7, 7 Pro, 7T, and 7T Pro are concerned there are still some updates to come. For now, the company is rolling out OxygenOS Open Beta 16/6 for both handsets worldwide.
The new firmware update brings some display-related fixes, new Clock and Game Space features. One important thing to note is that it bumps the security patch level to July 2020, the latest one available. Worth noting that this update is an Open Beta build, so it will only reach out to smartphones that are already running an Open Beta build. If you’re part of the stable branch you will need to manually flash this update.
The new firmware version also brings the Adaptive Brightness algorithm that works to improve the backlight brightness and make the transition even smoother. The firmware update will also bring an automatic pull-down issue with an unlock screen in the ambient display. The Clock application now includes two new tiles “Lap Time” and “Split Time” for a stopwatch. As a result, the new interface looks generally better. Last but not least, the update fixes issues in Messages and Launcher apps. One honorable mention is the addition of a “Moments” section in Game Space. It allows the user to quickly access snapshots and screen recording.
OxygenOS Open Beta 16/6 update for OnePlus 7/7T series changelog
- Optimized adaptive brightness curve. The backlight brightness softer, improving user experience
- Fixed the issue that double-tap could not wake up the screen in some settings
- Fixed the automatic pull-down issue with unlock screen in ambient display
- Updated Android security patch to 2020.07
- Newly added “Lap time” and “Split time” title for Stopwatch, the interface looking more clear-cut
- Newly added Moments to store gaming snapshots and screen recordings, please go to the three-dot menu at upper right corner>Moments>Recent/Games to find them
- Fixed the bug of unable to receive wireless alarm notifications within a short time despite repetitious trials
- Fixed the abnormal color display at the top area and button of Notes