OnePlus easily carries the title as one of the most reliable smartphone makers when it comes to providing software updates. The company that has been achieving a good track record has set an ambitious goal earlier this year. The company wanted its smartphones to be Android Enterprise Recommended (AER). In April this year, the company introduced the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro. Now, Google is designating the OnePlus 8 as part of the AER program.
Google’s Android Enterprise Recommended program was launched in February 2018. The search giant’s intentions were to create a list of certified devices that are recommended for enterprises to roll out to their employees. Currently, around 189 devices are certified as AER. To be present in this program, AER devices should meet certain software update requirements based on whatever Android OS they’re running. Moreover, certain hardware requirements must be met. The list includes offering more than 8 hours of battery life and have at least 2GB of RAM (We don’t know if this RAM amount will change now that all devices with 2GB will be coming with Android Go). These devices should provide at least 32GB of storage as well.
For the OnePlus 8 meeting, this requirement was a piece of cake. After all, the flagship devices have up to 12GB of RAM and 256GB of Internal Storage. The battery life is also ensured by a 4,300mAh battery. The company recently promised three years of bi-monthly security patches and at least two years of major Android updates. We believe that is enough to put a smile on Google’s face. We are curious to see if future OnePlus devices will also receive AER. That should happen now that the OnePlus 8 has opened the doors. Both the OnePlus 8 Pro and the OnePlus Nord also meet the necessary hardware requirements. Time will tell whether they’ll also enter the list of AER devices or not.
ONEPLUS 8 SPECIFICATIONS
- 6.55-inch (1080 x 2400 pixels) Full HD+ 402 PPI 20:9 Fluid AMOLED display with 90Hz refresh rate, HDR 10+, 3D Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- 2.84GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR4X RAM with 128GB (UFS 3.0) storage / 12GB LPDDR4X RAM with 256GB (UFS 3.0) storage
- Android 10 with OxygenOS 10.0
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 48MP rear camera with Sony IMX586 sensor, 0.8μm pixel size, f/1.75 aperture, OIS + EIS Hybrid stabilization, 16MP 116° ultra-wide camera with f/2.2 aperture, 2MP macro camera with f/2.4 aperture, 4K video at 60 fps, 720p slow motion at 480fps, 1080p slow motion at 240fps
- 16MP front-facing camera with Sony IMX471 sensor, f/2.45 aperture, EIS
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 160.2×72.9×8.0 mm; Weight: 180g
- USB Type-C audio, Dual Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax 2X2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS (L1+L5 Dual Band) + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 4300mAh battery with Warp Charge 30T Fast Charging (5V/6A)