LG recently launched the LG Wing, an atypical form factor smartphone with a rotating mechanism for the main display, priced at around $950. Three weeks after the announcement, network informant @Kuma_Sleepy, familiar with the internal data of the companies, released the pre-order figures for the new product. And they turned out to be very modest.
LG Wing pre-orders are much less compared to Galaxy Z Fold 2
To date, only 1275 people have pre-ordered the new smartphone, which looks very low compared to sales of the foldable and much more expensive Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2, with more than 80,000 units. However, trying to survive LG did not plan to compete with Samsung, intending to sell only 3,000 LG Wing units by the end of 2020. In other words, the company is likely to be able to successfully complete the plan.
Pre order comparison(in Korea)
Galaxy Z Fold 2 : 80,000 units
LG Wing : 1,275 units (For reference, LG’s target is 3,000 units.)
— Sleepy Kuma (@Kuma_Sleepy) October 5, 2020
LG WING specifications
- 6.8-inch (2440 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 20.5: 9 aspect ratio P-OLED display, 3.9-inch (1240 x 1080 pixels) 1.15:1 G-OLED second screen
- Octa Core (1 x 2.4GHz + 1 x 2.2GHz + 6 x 1.8GHz Kryo 475 CPUs) Snapdragon 765G 7nm EUV Mobile Platform with Adreno 620 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 128GB / 256GB storage, expandable memory up to 2TB with microSD
- Android 10
- 64MP rear camera with LED flash, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 13MP 117° ultra-wide lens with f/1.9 aperture, 12MP 120° ultra-wide Gimbal mode Camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 32MP pop-up front-facing camera with f/1.9 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C audio
- Dimensions: 169.5 x 74.5 x 10.9 mm; Weight: 260g
- MIL-STD 810G Compliance, Water and Dust Resistance (IP54)
- 5G SA/ NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 4000mAh (Typical) battery with Quick Charge 4.0+ 25W fast charging, 10w wireless charging
The LG WING comes in Aurora Gray and Illusion Sky colors and will roll out in South Korea starting from October followed by key markets in North America and Europe.
Gizchina News of the week
LG plans to run an active promotional campaign throughout October, which will allow customers to receive a 70% discount coupon for screen replacement within two years of purchase.
The main feature of the LG Wing is its secondary screen. The main display is hinged and can be rotated 90 degrees, opening, if necessary, a second screen. The second display, in turn, is fixed in one place and hidden behind the first screen.
To reinforce the design of the smartphone, the company used a special design using hydraulic dampers for greater strength.
Recall that LG Wing is the first smartphone from the new line of LG Explorer. The company decided to spend more effort and money on expanding the number of unusual smartphones.