The Xiaomi Mi Band 5 fitness bracelet, which is the successor to the hugely popular Mi Band 4 with a larger display and magnetic charging, has begun receiving a firmware update with new features.
The Mi Band series of fitness trackers is Xiaomi‘s best-selling line of wearable products, so the company is actively supporting these trackers by adding new features. The firmware update 18.104.22.168 brings with it three new features.
First of all, the new firmware adds support for 24/7 sleep monitoring. Thus, Xiaomi Mi Band 5 officially became the first bracelet in the series to have this feature. Secondly, the update provides support for four new languages, namely Indonesian, Greek, Vietnamese, and Hebrew.
The third feature is exclusive to the Chinese version of the bracelet and adds support for four new transportation cards (Yongchengtong, Shengjingtong, Harbin Citytong, Dalian Pearl).
To update the Mi Band 5 to the latest firmware, users will need to update the Mi Fit app to v4.8.0. Then just open the app to start the update installation process. If it doesn’t, go to Mi Band 5 or Mi Smart Band 5 in the My Devices section and click Check for Updates.
Xiaomi Mi Band 5 specifications
- 1.1-inch (126 x 294 pixels) AMOLED 24bit color touch screen display with up to ≥450 nits brightness, 2.5D scratch-resistant glass, AF coating
- Shows time, steps, heart rate, activities, weather, notifications from apps, calls and more
- Photoplethysmography (PPG) / Heart rate sensor
- 24-hour sleep tracking, fitness tracking, Sedentary reminder
- 11 sports modes (outdoor running, walking, cycling, indoor running, swimming, exercise, indoor cycling, elliptical machine, skipping rope, yoga, rowing machine)
- PAI health analysis, Women’s health tracking: Menstrual cycle,
- Tri-axis Accelerometer + Tri-axis Gyro, Capacitive Wear Monitoring Sensor, Pressure assessment, Breathing training, Remote shutter control
- Xiao Ai’s voice assistant (NFC model)
- 5ATM (50 meters) water resistant
- Bluetooth 5.0 LE, NFC (Optional)
- Dimensions: 47.2 x 18.5 x 12.4mm; Weight: 11.9g / 12.1g (NFC)
- 125mAh battery with up to 14 days of battery life in typical mode, 20 days in long battery mode
The Mi Band 5 features a 1.1-inch dynamic AMOLED color touch screen display with a resolution of 126 x 294 pixels. The current-gen offers 20% bigger screen compared to its predecessor. It also comes with Personal Activity Intelligence that tracks all activities and has an intelligent algorithm, claims brand. For those who’re unaware, PIA uses heart rate data to inform users of the target activity level that they need to stay healthy. The Mi Band 5 comes with a price tag of ($40).
The fitness band can track 11 activities such as yoga, power walking, treadmill, running (indoor & outdoor), cycling (indoor & outdoor), swimming, freestyle workout, and more. Just like with most fitness bands, this one too supports 24-hour continuous heart rate monitoring. The band can also record and remind female users of the menstrual cycle. You can also control cameras such as take selfies or group photos using the band.