Although the release of the Apple iPhone 12 line was delayed, the overall reception of the new devices was very positive, and sales were very strong. At the same time, the analytical company CIRP claims that Apple is disappointed with the sales of the iPhone 12 mini.
According to CIRP, the new 5.4-inch device accounted for only 6% of total iPhone sales in October and November. Analyst Mike Levin, who co-founded CIRP, believes this is because the iPhone XR costs $499 and the iPhone 11 costs $599. These smartphones are more attractive to certain buyers.
The new iPhone mini likely disappointed Apple with only 6% of sales in the period,’ said Mike Levin, CIRP Partner and cofounder. ‘It has most of the same features as the other iPhone 12 models, in a smaller form factor for $699. Its share was just above that of iPhone XR, launched in 2018 and now priced at $499, the one-year old iPhone 11, now selling for $599, and the 2nd generation iPhone SE, launched in April 2020 at $399. It seems that its higher price point compared to those three models limited the iPhone 12 mini appeal.
Apple iPhone 12 series sales
Overall, the iPhone 12 lineup accounted for 76% of iPhone sales between October and November. Of the entire lineup, the 6.1-inch base model iPhone 12 had the largest share of new iPhone sales in the US at 27%. The iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max accounted for about 20 percent of new iPhone sales in the US during the same period.
That’s higher than the iPhone 11 series at launch, which only accounted for about 69 percent of new iPhone sales in 2019.
Compared to last year’s launch of iPhone 11 models, which accounted for 69% of sales in the period after the launch, the four iPhone 12 models did even better, with 76% of sales. However, there was no clear leader among the new models, with sales evenly distributed among iPhone 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Max. In contrast, in 2019, iPhone 11 had an incredible 39% of sales, with iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max combining for only 30% of sales.
Apple iPhone 12 mini specifications
- 5.4-inch (2340×1080 pixels) OLED 476ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A14 Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, quad-core graphics
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 14
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, optical image stabilization, True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens
- 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- Dimensions: 131.5×64.2×7.4mm; Weight: 133grams
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 15 hours iPhone 12 mini of video playback