Microsoft has officially released the Surface Laptop 4 which is the company’s latest flagship laptop. In addition to the 11th-generation Core version, there is also an optional Surface custom AMD Ryzen processor. Microsoft officially announced the parameters of the two processors R5 4680U and R7 4980U.
- R5 4680U: 6 cores and 12 threads, 2.1-4.0GHz
- R7 4980U: 8 cores and 16 threads, 2.0-4.4Ghz
Microsoft’s official website did not announce the parameters of the nuclear display. However, there are reports that it is the same as the AMD public version.
In addition, AMD’s latest R5 5500U and R7 5700U also use the Zen2 architecture. You might as well compare it with the Microsoft customized version.
- R5 5500U: 6 cores and 12 threads, 2.1-4.0GHz
- R7 5700U: 8 cores and 16 threads, 1.8-4.3GHz
In comparison, it is not difficult to see that the Microsoft customized version of R5 4680U is the same as R5 5500U. Compared with the public version, the main frequency of R7 4980U is increased by 0.2GHz, and the acceleration frequency is increased by 0.1GHz.
The Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 comes with a really thin body as well as a uniquely tall display. According to early reviews, this display offers one of the best typing experiences in the industry. The processor is obviously one of its major selling points as it powers for long hours.
For users who particularly love multitasking, the Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 may be their best bet presently. If you are like me that usually have up to 30 tabs ready to load, you should consider this system. The keyboard is super comfortable and soft to touch. Furthermore, it comes with both USB-A and USB-C ports that allow it to play nice with a wide range of accessories.
If we are to talk about the downsides of this laptop, then it has to be the battery, webcam, and speakers. Although they deliver top-notch performance, they are not entirely the best the industry has to offer presently.
Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 specifications
- 13.5 / 15-inch (2256 x 1504 pixels) PixelSense 10 point multi-touch Display with 3:2 aspect ratio
- Quad Core 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor / Quad Core 11th Intel Core i7-1185G7 processor with Intel Iris Xᵉ Graphics / AMD Ryzen 5 4680U Mobile Processor with Radeon Graphics Microsoft Surface Edition (6 cores)
- 8GB/16GB LPDDR4X RAM, 256GB/512GB SSD, Removable solid-state drive (SSD) options
- 720p f/2.0 HD front-facing camera
- 3.5mm headphone jack, Dual far-field Studio Mics, Omnisonic speakers with Dolby Atmos
- Ambient light sensor, TPM 2.0 chip for enterprise security and BitLocker support, Enterprise-grade protection with Windows Hello face sign-in
- Surface Laptop 4 13.5″ Dimensions:308 × 223 × 14.5 mm; Weight: 1.26 kg (Platinum Alcantara) / 1.28 kg (Matte Black metal)
- Surface Laptop 4 15″ Dimensions:339.5 × 244 × 14.7 mm; Weight: 1.54 kg (Platinum and Matte Black metal)
- Wi-Fi 802.11 ax Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 5.0 LE, 1 x USB-C, 1 x USB-A, Surface Connect
- Up to 19h battery life for 13.5″ with AMD Ryzen / Up to 17.5 hours of battery life for 15″ with AMD Ryzen / Up to 17 hours for 13.5″ with Intel Core processor / Up to 16.5 hours for 15″ with Intel Core processor