Apple has added a new color option for the iPhone 12 family of smartphones – a rare step for the company, apparently designed to spur demand for devices in the middle of the lifecycle of a key product for the company.
The new color is really unusual – purple, but not catchy and looks like a lavender pastel shade. It matches the tones of the rest of the iPhone 12 family colors, including mint green and red, which is closer to the pink spectrum.
The purple iPhone 12 will go on sale this Friday, April 23rd, and will begin shipping to customers on April 30th (in China, Japan, the United Kingdom, the United States and 30 other countries). It is available for the iPhone 12 and 12 mini smartphones. At the same time, the flagship iPhone 12 Pro devices, which are already selling well, are not getting any new color options.
It’s a small detail, but a good way for Apple to revitalize its mid-life hardware offerings and attract regular consumers. It also suggests that Apple is leaning even more towards the multicolored aesthetic of its hardware, which is a refreshing change from the predominantly monochrome approach that has been practiced in recent years.
Here is a reminder of the specifications of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini smartphones:
Apple iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12 specifications
- iPhone 12 mini -5.4-inch (2340×1080 pixels) OLED 476ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, Ceramic Shield protection
- iPhone 12 – 6.1-inch (2532×1170 pixels) OLED 460ppi Super Retina XDR display, up to 1200 nits brightness, HDR, Dolby Vision, Ceramic Shield protection
- Six-Core A14 Bionic 5nm chip with 64-bit architecture, quad-core graphics
- 64GB, 128GB,256GB storage options
- iOS 14
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP wide-angle (f/1.6) camera, 7P lens, optical image stabilization; True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 240fps; 12MP 120° Ultra Wide (f/2.4) secondary camera, 5P lens
- A 12MP TrueDepth front camera with f/2.2 aperture, Retina Flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps, Slo‑mo 1080p at 120fps
- TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition, Stereo speakers
- iPhone 12 mini dimensions: 131.5×64.2×7.4mm; Weight: 133grams
- iPhone 12 dimensions: 146.7×71.5×7.4mm; Weight: 162grams
- 5G (sub‑6 GHz), Gigabit-class LTE, 802.11ax Wi‑Fi 6 with 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC with reader mode, GPS with GLONASS
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery with MagSafe wireless charging, fast charging, up to 15 hours (iPhone 12 mini) / 17 hours (iPhone 12) of video playback