Apple released the latest iPhone system iOS 15 on WWDC21 and it comes with many new features. Furthermore, this update is also available for very old iPhones like the iPhone 6s/6s Plus/SE. However, due to lack of hardware or poor performance, not all new iOS 15 features can work on the old iPhone. Here are the top 12 iOS 15 features that will not work on the old iPhones
Exclusively for iOS 15 iPhones with A12 bionic chip or higher
- FaceTime’s spatial audio. It can distinguish the voice position of the other party during a FaceTime call, just like a face-to-face call.
- FaceTime’s portrait mode. You can blur the background during a FaceTime call to help the other party focus on the person
Gizchina News of the week
- Map: Interactive 3D function and immersive walking navigation. In China, this app will not be available but there will be the Gaode map
- Quick search for pictures: Similar to the function of Scan, you can extract the text and phone calls in the photo, just tap the picture to extract the text, and paste the search. It can also identify flowers, animals, etc. in the picture, and give the search results;
- New weather animation background: A variety of new weather animations can display the position of the sun, clouds, and precipitation, etc.;
- Local voice processing on the device. Voice recognition on iOS 15 can be performed locally on the iPhone device without networking;
- Keys in the Wallet App. You can add house keys, hotel keys, office keys, and car keys to your mobile phone.
iPhone 12 series exclusive
- Panoramic photos: The panoramic photos of the iPhone 12 series have better geometric distortion. This will help to capture moving objects better and reduce image noise;
- Enhanced 5G connection: Faster 5G connection, enhanced application, and system experience, including support for backup to iCloud and recovery from iCloud backup, streaming audio and video on Apple and third-party apps, downloading higher quality Apple TV+ content, Sync photos to iCloud photos, update Apple News+ articles for offline reading, and download machine learning models;
- 5G takes precedence over WiFi: When the user’s WiFi network is slow, the iPhone 12 series can automatically switch to a 5G network.
Other functional limitations
- Spatial audio with head tracking: AirPods Pro and AirPods Max users can get a more immersive Dolby Atmos experience. This feature will work on iPhone 7 series and above
- Walking stability detection: It can detect the user’s walking stability and provide an alarm in the event of an accidental fall. This feature will work on iPhone 8 series and above