Redmi nowadays acts in a multitude of segments from smartphones to wearables and laptops. The company has been expanding in multiple directions, but the big focus is on the core business – smartphones. Nowadays, Redmi has premium smartphones, flagship killers, premium mid-range smartphones, and even gaming devices. However, everything has started with the vanilla Redmi smartphone series. While the headlights are usually turned into the Redmi Note series, the company keeps focusing in the vanilla Redmi smartphones and it’s achieving good results from it. After a very successful Redmi 9 series, the company has entered the tenth generation with the Redmi 10.
If you recall, we brought all the details about the Redmi 10 last week. Someone at Xioami goofed up and left most of the smartphone details to slip through the window. We don’t really know when Xiaomi was planning to launch the Redmi 10, but now almost one week after the unofficial launch, the company is back to officially announced the handset.
Redmi 10 specifications
The Redmi 10 is the first smartphone to come with a high refresh rate display. It packs the very same 6.5-inch diagonal from the Redmi 9. However, this time we have a display with a center-aligned punch-hole and a 90Hz refresh rate. The display can switch between 60 Hz and 45 Hz depending on the content shown in the screen. The panel has a Full HD+ resolution.
Under the hood, the smartphone carries the MediaTek Helio G88 SoC. For those unaware, this is a tweaked version of the Helio G85 that enables a higher refresh rate at 1080p+ resolution. It still is based on the 12 nm architecture, still has the same aging Cortex-A75 cores, and still has the same Mali-G57 MC2 GPU. Anyway, this chipset gets the job done. The device comes in variants with 4 GB and 6 GB of RAM. The first is available in 64 GB or 128GB storage options, while the latter comes with 128 GB. There are conflicting reports about microSD availability, so we’ll wait a bit for further confirmation from Xiaomi.
Gizchina News of the week
In terms of optics, we have a big upgrade in the Redmi 10. While the Redmi 9 arrived to democratize “Quad-Cameras” it was somewhat lackluster with a 13 MP main camera, an 8MP ultrawide, and two not-so-useful 2 MP sensors. The Redmi 10 is a big upgrade offering a 50 MP main camera. It comes alongside the same 8 MP ultrawide module, a 2 MP macro camera, and a 2 MP depth sensor. That’s pretty much the “usual” combo in Redmi mid-range smartphones. The front-facing snapper is an 8 MP camera.
Other features include Stereo Speakers and a 3.5 mm headphone jack. The device has Wi-Fi 5, Bluetooth 5.x, and a USB Type-C port. It runs Android 11 with MIUI 12.5 running on the top. Moreover, there is a 5,000 mAh battery keeping the lights on. It supports 18W fast-charging and 9W reverse wired charging. Xiaomi has been kind enough to provide a 22.5W charger with the bundle.
Pricing and Availability
The Redmi 10 is available in Carbon Gray, Pebble White, Sea Blue. The base model with 4GB/64GB sells for $180. The 4GB/128GB option costs $200, and the 6GB/128GB trim will set you back by $220. The device will go on sale from August 20. The device will hit Malaysia first, but only the base and high-tier versions will be available.
Redmi 10 Specs Summary
- 6.5-inch (2400 x 1080 pixels) FHD+ IPS LCD screen with 90Hz adaptive refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Octa Core MediaTek Helio G88 12nm processor (Dual 2GHz Cortex-A75 + Hexa 2GHz 6x Cortex-A55 CPUs) with ARM Mali-G52 2EEMC2 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB / 128GB (eMMC 5.1) storage / 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 128GB (eMMC 5.1) storage, expandable memory with microSD
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- Android 11 with MIUI 12.5
- 50MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, LED flash, 8MP ultra-wide sensor woth f/2.2 aperture, 2MP macro and 2MP depth sensor with f/2.4 aperture
- 8MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speakers, FM Radio
- Dimensions: 162 x 75.3 x 8.95mm; Weight: 181g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C
- 5000mAh battery with 18W fast charging, 9W reverse wired charging