From feature phones to smartphones, one of the important signs of the evolution of mobile phones is the upgrade of the screen. Mobile phone manufacturers are chasing larger and higher-definition screens. However, large screens affect the portability of mobile phones. Nevertheless, a form of folding provides a solution to this issue. Presently, there are two types of foldable smartphones. We have the “book-type” foldable smartphone like the Xiaomi Mi MIX Fold as well as the “clamshell-style” foldable smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy Z flip3. While the former folds from side to side, the latter folds up and down.
As of now, most of the foldable smartphones from Chinese brands like Huawei and Xiaomi use the “book-type” design. The clamshell design is relatively fewer in the market. According to popular Chinese Weibo tech blogger @DCS, Xiaomi is testing a clamshell foldable-screen phone. The design of this smartphone is similar to the Samsung Galaxy Z flip3. The Motorola Razr Blade 5G also uses a similar design. The folding screen of this scheme is smaller in size and easier to carry in the folded state.
It is worth noting that the current foldable smartphones are very expensive prices, and most of the configurations are high-end flagship levels. Therefore, Xiaomi’s new foldable smartphone will come with a flagship configuration. This device will use an OLED screen with a high refresh rate. We also expect Qualcomm’s or MediaTek’s flagship processor on this one. However, in general terms, there is not much information about this device. In fact, this is the first report on the existence of such a smartphone. To this end, we can not be so sure when this device will eventually arrive.
To get a glimpse of what Xiaomi can use on its foldable smartphone, here is the specs sheet of the company’s only foldable smartphone
Xiaomi Mi MIX Fold specifications
- 8.01-inch (2480 x 1860 pixels) Quad HD+ AMOLED HDR10 + display with 60Hz refresh rate, 900 nits (peak) brightness, 600 nits (HBM), MEMC,DCI-P3 Wide Color Gamut
- 6.5-inch (2520 x 840 pixels) AMOLED external display with 900 nits (peak) brightness, 650 nits (HBM), Dolby Vision
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 12GB LPPDDR5 3200MHz RAM with 256GB UFS 3.1 storage, 12GB / 16GB LPPDDR5 3200MHz RAM with 512GB (Ultra) UFS 3.1 storage
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- MIUI 12 based on Android 11
- 108MP rear camera with 1/ 1.52″ Samsung ISOCELL HM2 sensor, f/1.75 aperture, LED flash, liquid lens, 8MP, 80mm equivalent focal length, 3cm minimum focusing distance, 30 x zoom, 13MP 123° ultra-wide angle lens with f/2.4 aperture, Self-developed Surge C1 ISP, 8K video recording at 30 fps
- 20MP front-facing camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Quad speakers 3D panoramic sound system, Dual 1216 speakers, SOUND BY Harman Kardon
- Dimensions: Extended: 173.27x 133.38 x 7.62mm, Folded: 173.27 x 69.8 x 17.2mm; Weight: 317g (Black) / 332g (Ceramic)
- 5G SA/NSA Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6E 802.11 ax 8 x / MU-MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS (L1 + L5), NFC, USB Type-C
- 5,020mAh double-cell design with 67W wired QC4+ / PD3.0