After many leaks and much speculation, Realme is finally here to reveal the Realme GT 2 and GT 2 Pro in all their glory. The two new flagships were unveiled in China today, January 4, with compelling specifications that will keep pushing the GT series of flagships and flagship killers forward. There are many improvements in the camera department, processing power, and also in the display. Here is everything you need to know about the new handsets.
Realme GT 2 and GT 2 Pro main specifications
As previously said, the Chinese brand unveiled a vanilla Realme GT 2, and a Realme GT 2 Pro today. The latter packs a Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, which brings significant upgrades in terms of performance. The vanilla, however, may sound like an incremental upgrade over the original model. After all, it keeps the Snapdragon 888 SoC which is also found in the last year’s GT 5G. The Snapdragon 888+ could make much more sense here, but apparently, companies are still having a hard time ordering this chipset. The Pro variant has up to 12 GB of RAM and up to 512 GB of Internal Storage. The vanilla has up to 256 GB of Storage.
One of the most notable new features in the GT 2 models is a specially developed bio-based polymer back material. This finish comes to deliver a feel that will resemble paper. It’s a first for the smartphone segment. Once again, Realme and the popular designer Naoto Fukusawa have joined forces to develop the new material. As per the company, it offers the same structural integrity as other fossil-based materials while saving up to 2 KG CO2 per kilogram body weight.
The world’s first LTPO 2.0 display
The Realme GT 2 has a 6.62-inch AMOLED display with a 120 Hz refresh rate and a Full HD+ resolution. The GT 2 Pro, on the other hand, packs a flat 6.7-inch LTPO 2.0 AMOLED display with a QHD+ resolution. It also has a 1-120 Hz adaptive refresh rate and a 1,000 Hz touch sampling rate. The panel is touted to offer improved battery life with up to 50 percent less power consumption than past AMOLEDs. It’s can dynamically adjust the refresh rate between 30 Hz and 120 Hz. There is also 10-bit colors support and HDR 10+ certification as well as Corning Gorilla Glass coating.
Gizchina News of the week
In terms of optics, both smartphones bring the same 50 MP Sony IMX766 main camera with Optical Image Stabilization. The Pro gets a secondary Samsung JN1 50 MP ultrawide snapper with a 150-degrees field of view and a microscope lens that can do close-ups at up to 40 x. The GT 2 gets a much simpler 8 MP ultrawide snapper and a 2 MP macro camera.
Battery, Charging and Realme UI 3.0
In terms of battery life, we have the same 5,000 mAh battery for both variants. That’s a nice upgrade, and apparently, the Realme GT Neo 2 served as a test for this capacity plus the 65 W charging. Now, both flagships have the same capacity with the company’s signature 65 W charge. Unfortunately, there is no signal of Realme’s 125W UltraDART charging in these devices. Anyway, we didn’t see any evidence of this coming in the previous months, apart from teases for an Ultra flagship with the aforementioned charging capability. Therefore, we may see another Realme GT smartphone in the future.
In terms of software, the Realme GT 2 and GT 2 Pro come with Android 12-based Realme UI 3.0 straight out of the box.
Pricing and Availability
The Realme GT 2 comes in Paper White, Paper Green, Steel Black, and Titanium Blue colorways. The variant with 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB storage is the base one and starts at CNY 2,699 ($425). It goes up to CNY 3,199 ($503) for the option with 12 GB RAM and 256 GB of Storage.
The Realme GT 2 Pro with 8 GB and 128 GB costs as much as CNY 3,899 ($613) and goes up to CNY 4,999 ($787) for the version with 12 GB of RAM and 512 GB of Internal Storage. The intermediary option with 8 GB and 256 GB costs CNY 4,199 ($660), and there is also a 12 GB RAM with 256 GB option that costs CNY 4,499 ($708). This one comes in Forged Black, Titanium Blue, Master Paper, and Master Sen colorways.
The Realme GT 2 series will hit shelves in China starting from January 8. Realme will launch the devices internationally later in Q1.
If you need a summary of the devices’ specs, check below.
Realme GT 2 specifications
- 6.62-inch (2400 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 120Hz E4 AMOLED display, HDR10+, up to 1300 nits brightness, 100% DCI-P3 color gamut, DC dimming, Corning Gorilla Glass5 Protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 660 GPU
- 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB / 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage / 12GB LPDDR5 RAM with 256GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 12 with realme UI 3.0
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 50MP main camera with Sony IMX766 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 8MP 119° Ultra Wide Lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2MP macro camera with f/2.4 aperture
- 16MP front-facing camera with Sony IMX471 sensor, f/2.5 aperture
- In-display fingerprint sensor
- USB Type-C audio, Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, Hi-Res Audio
- Dimensions: 162.9×75.8×8.6mm; Weight: 199.8g (forged black/titanium blue) / 194.5 (Master Edition)
- 5G SA/ NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS (L1 + L5)/ GLONASS / Navic/ QZSS/ Galileo, NFC, USB Type-C
- 5000mAh (typical) with 65W ultra-fast flash charging
GT 2 Pro specifications
- 6.7-inch (3216×1440 pixels) Quad HD+ AMOLED 1-120Hz LTPO variable refresh rate AMOLED display with up to 1400 nits brightness, 100% DCI-P3 wide color gamut, JNCD ≈ 0.5, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU
- 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB /256GB UFS 3.1 storage / 12GB LPDDR5 RAM with 256GB / 512GB UFS 3.1 storage
- Android 12 with realme UI 3.0
- Dual SIM (nano + nano)
- 50MP main camera with Sony IMX766 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 50MP 150° ultra-wide camera with ISOCELL JN1 sensor, f/2.2 aperture, 2MP 40x zoom ultra macro camera
- 32MP front camera with Sony IMX615 sensor, f/2.4 aperture
- In-display fingerprint scanner
- USB Type-C Audio, Stereo linear speakers, Hi-Res Audio
- Dimensions: 163.2×74.7×8.2mm; Weight: 199g (forged black/titanium blue) / 189g (Master Edition)
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax (2.4GHz/5GHz) MIMO, Bluetooth 5.2, GPS (L1 + L5), USB Type-C, NFC