According to SamMobile reports, Samsung has chosen to remove the “Z” letter from its foldable products Galaxy Z Fold3 5G and Galaxy Z Flip3 5G. However, it is not doing so globally, it is only removing it in some European countries. Samsung’s Estonian, Latvian and Lithuanian websites all now list the Galaxy Z Fold3 5G and Galaxy Z Flip3 5G as the Galaxy Fold3 5G and Galaxy Flip3 5G.
In the past month, the “Z” symbol has become synonymous with the Russian military in Ukraine. After the outbreak of the Russian-Ukrainian conflict, the letter “Z” frequently appeared on Russian military equipment. The Russian Ministry of Defense explained that Z stands for “for victory” and comes from the initial pronunciation of Russian за победу (victory).
Samsung has not yet explained why it is changing the name of the phone, or whether it has decided to change the name globally. Interestingly, Samsung’s Ukrainian website still retains the Z. This makes the situation a bit complex. We can not be too certain that the Russia – Ukraine crisis is the cause of the changes. However, this is the conclusion of many analysts.
Gizchina News of the week
In early March, Samsung said that considering the current geopolitical development, the company’s product shipments to Russia have been suspended.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 5G specifications
- 7.6-inch (2208 x 1768 pixels) QXGA+ 22.5:18 Dynamic AMOLED 2X Display, 374ppi, 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 900 nits(HBM), 1200 nits(peak)
- 6.2-inch (2268 x 832 pixels) 24.5:9) HD+ Dynamic AMOLED 2X Cover Display, 387ppi, 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 1000 nits(HBM), 1500 nits(peak), Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 256GB / 512GB (UFS 3.1) storage
- Android 11 with One UI 3.1
- Dual SIM (nano + eSIM)
- 12MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 12MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, PDAF, OIS, 2x optical zoom, up to 10x digital zoom, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture, Super clear glass with Corning Gorilla Glass with DX
- 10MP cover front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- 4MP Under display camera with f/1.8 aperture
- Stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Side-mounted Fingerprint Sensor
- Water resistant (IPX8)
- Dimensions Folded: 67.1 x 158.2 x 16.0mm(Hinge) ~ 14.4mm (Sagging), Unfolded: 128.1 x 158.2 x 6.4mm; Weight: 271g
- 5G SA/NSA, Sub6 / mmWave, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 6E (2.4/5GHz), HE160, MIMO, 1024-QAM, Bluetooth 5.2 LE, Ultra Wide Band, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C (Gen 3.2), NFC, MST
- 4400mAh battery with 25W wired and 10W wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, 4.5W reverse wireless charging