Huawei, a pioneer in foldable phones, has launched the Mate X3. This new foldable device follows the Mate X from 2019 and the 2021 Mate X2.
The Mate X3 sports a book style form similar to the Mate X2 and the Galaxy Z Fold series. It boasts a 7.85 inch internal folding screen (2,496 × 2,224, LTPO 120Hz) and a 6.4-inch FHD+ curved smartphone display (LTPO 120Hz). The folding screen may not have ultra-thin glass protection, but Huawei claims it has an impact-resistant design.
Discover the Huawei Mate X3 foldable smartphone
Huawei has worked to reduce the device’s size and weight. The Mate X3 weighs 239 grams and is 5.3mm thin when unfolded. This measurement likely excludes the camera bump and hinge, but it remains a sleek design. The Mate X3 is lighter than Samsung’s Z Fold 4 (263 grams) and only slightly heavier than the Galaxy S23 Ultra (234 grams). The phone also features a “feather sand glass” back that resists fingerprint smudges.
A significant design upgrade is the IPX8 rating, which is rare among foldable phones. Only Samsung devices have this rating. The company also offers a wet hand mode, allowing the phone to recognize touch inputs with wet hands. The IP rating and slim design are noteworthy achievements.
Gizchina News of the week
The Mate X3 has a free-stop hinge, which can stop at any point between fully open and closed. This feature enables Flex Mode-style functionalities, such as using the partially opened device as a stand for the camera app, media player, video calling client, and more. The phone can also function as a smart display when placed on a surface while partially opened.
Core specs of the Mate X3 include the Snapdragon 8 Plus Gen 1 4G chipset, 256GB to 1TB of storage (expandable via Huawei’s proprietary NM card format), a 4,800mAh battery, 66W wired charging (Huawei’s proprietary standard), and 50W wireless charging.
Camera capabilities are impressive, with a 50MP main camera with OIS (RYYB color filter), a 13MP ultrawide camera with macro support, and a 12MP 5X periscope camera. Periscope cameras are uncommon in foldable phones. The device also has punch hole cutouts on both screens for an 8MP selfie camera, but rear cameras can be used for selfies too.
Additional Mate X3 features include Bluetooth 5.2, dual SIM support, an IR blaster, side fingerprint scanner, and two-way satellite messaging via Beidou satellites.
Global availability remains uncertain, but the Mate X3 starts at 12,999 yuan ( about $1,904) in China. If it expands to other markets, it will likely be more expensive than the Galaxy Z Fold 4. However, the downside is that the device won’t have Google integration.
In summary, the Huawei Mate X3 is an innovative foldable phone with a sleek design, IPX8 rating, and powerful features. While global availability is unknown, it promises to be a competitive option in the foldable phone market.
HUAWEI Mate X3 specifications
- 6.45-inch (2504 × 1080 pixels) LTPO OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate external display. 7.85-inch (2496 × 2224 pixels) LTPS OLED display with 120Hz refresh rate when unfolded. DCI-P3 color gamut, 1440 Hz high-frequency PWM dimming
- Up to 3.2GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen1 4nm Mobile Platform with Adreno next-gen GPU (4G only)
- 12GB RAM, 256GB / 512GB / 1 TB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- HarmonyOS 3.1
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- 50MP camera with Sony IMX766 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, 13MP Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2.5cm macro. 12MP Telephoto lens with f/3.4 aperture, 5x optical zoom, OIS, up to 50x digital zoom, OIS
- 8MP front camera with f/2.4 aperture (inner and outer screen)
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions: 15698 x 72.4 (141.5 unfolded) x 5.3mm (unfolded) 11.08mm (folded). Weight: 241g (Feather sand version), 239g (Plain leather version), 242.5g (Collector’s Edition)
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz and 5GHz). Bluetooth 5.2 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual-band), NavIC, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C (GEN1)
- 4800mAh Li-ion battery / 5060mAh silicon carbon battery (Collector’s Edition) with 66W Wired and 50W Wireless SuperCharge support