Samsung has announced a new mid-range mobile processor dubbed the Exynos 7872 SoC. The Exynos 7872 SoC is a mild upgrade to the Exynos 7870 SoC, and it is expected to debut first with newly announced Meizu M6s. Overall, Samsung claims the new SoC can deliver a double fold performance on the single core resulting in seamless multitasking, faster web browsing, and app launching.
Built on a 14nm process with two clustered hexa-core CPU and a Mali-G71 GPU, the new Exynos 7872 SoC comes with support for an LTE Cat. 7 2CA modem (300Mbps down, 150Mbps up) with Wi-Fi 802.11n dual-band (but no ac), Bluetooth 5.0, GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, and Galileo.
Samsung Exynos5 7872 processor specifications:
Gizchina News of the week
- CPU – Dual-core Cortex-A73 @ up to 2.0GHz, and Quad-core Cortex-A53 @ up to 1.6GHz
- GPU – Arm Mali-G71 MP1
- Memory I/F – LPDDR3
- Storage I/F – eMMC 5.1, SD 3.0
- Display – Up to WUXGA (1920×1200)
- LTE Modem – LTE Cat.7 2CA 300Mbps (DL) / Cat.13 2CA 150Mbps (UL)
- Connectivity – Wi-Fi 802.11n Dual-band, Bluetooth 5, FM Radio
- GNSS – GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo
- Camera – Rear 21.7MP, Front 21.7MP
- Video – Full HD 120fps encoding and decoding with HEVC (H.265), H.264 and VP8, and decoding with VP9
- Process – 14nm FinFET Process
Elsewhere, the Exynos 7872 comes with a more advanced ISP (Image Signal Processor) and MFC (Multi-Format Codec) that can take up to the 21.7MP front and rear cameras as well as support for an iris sensor up to 8MP for improved authentication. It is not capable of taking dual-cameras but capable of 1080p video recording at 120fps with HEVC and H.264 codec support. It boasts of display resolutions up to 1920 x 1200 with support for LPDDR3 for RAM, eMMC 5.1 for built-in storage and the SD 3.0 standard for expandable memory.