Following the decree signed by Donald Trump last May, Huawei could not get an Android license for its Mate 30 and 30 Pro. The smartphones are therefore stripped of the Play Store and the applications developed by Google, such as Google Maps, YouTube and Gmail. Huawei decided not to unlock the Mate 30 bootloader, so it seemed impossible to install the Play Store in the absence of the Google Mobile Services system layer.
According to our colleagues at 9to5Google, it is possible to install the Google Play Store and all Google applications in just ten short minutes even without an unlocked bootloader. According to the article, you just have to go to the Chinese site lzplay.net. To get the APK files needed to install the Google Services Framework installer. The site allows you to add the Google Mobile Services without having to unblock the bootloader. Other media, including Android Central and XDA Developpers, achieved the same result with the same technique.
Here’s how to install the Play Store on the Mate 30 and 30 Pro
- Open the stock ‘Browser’ or alternatively sideload the Chrome APK (does not need Google Play Services to operate)
- Head to the following web address: http://www.lzplay.net/
- Hit the big blue button to download the Google Services Framework installer
- Allow the Google Services Assistant installer to install all of the necessary files and frameworks.
- Once the Google Play Store is installed, run the application.
- At this point, you may encounter issues being able to sign in. Simply restart your device and re-launch.
- Sign-in and install any Google apps.
- Follow the video guide below for step-by-step instructions.
Not surprisingly, Huawei can not legally encourage buyers to install the Play Store on their own. However, it is not impossible that the Chinese manufacturer has made the installation of Google services easier than expected, says 9to5Google. It is therefore possible to turn the Mate 30 into a “normal” Android smartphone. With this workaround, will Huawei reach its goal of 20 million Mate 30 sold?