In an online event this afternoon, Sony announced a new smartphone Xperia 1 Ⅱ (pronounced as Xperia 1 Mark Ⅱ ). The new nomenclature “Mark II” is borrowed from Sony’s camera business. Sony Xperia 1 Ⅱ comes with triple rear cameras, all 12MP, corresponding to different focal lengths, and a Sony 3D iTOF sensor.
In detail, Xperia 1 Ⅱ uses a 12mm camera with 16mm focal length, f / 2.2 aperture; a 70mm 12MP sensor with f / 2.4 aperture; a 24mm 12MP sensor with f / 1.7 aperture; and finally a 3D iToF sensor. The camera module combines Sony’s Exmor RS sensor, BIONZ processor technology, as well as Zeiss’ optical technology.
In terms of configuration, the Xperia 1 Ⅱ uses a 6.5-inch HDR OLED screen. This display has a resolution of 3,840 x 1,644, 643ppi, 90Hz refresh rate, 21: 9 display ratio and a Corning Gorilla Glass 6 for protection.
Under the hood, this smartphone comes with a Snapdragon 865 processor coupled with 8GB of RAM and 256GB flash memory. The body has a headphone jack and dual speakers. The battery is 4,000 mAh, supports 21W USB-PD charging, and 15W wireless charging. It measures 166 x 72 x 7.9mm, weighs 181g, and is available in black and purple.
Sony Xperia 1 Ⅱ specifications
- 6.5-inch (1644x3840pixels) 4K OLED HDR Display with 21:9 aspect ratio, 100% DCI-P3 color gamut, X1 for mobile, Motion Blur Reduction, Corning Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 650 GPU
- 8GB RAM, 256GB internal memory, expandable memory up to 1TB via microSD card
- Android 10
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / microSD)
- 12MP rear camera with Exmor RS sensor, 1/1.7″ sensor, f/1.7 aperture, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 12MP f/2.2 aperture 1/2.55″ 135° ultra-wide-angle, 12MP f/2.4 aperture 1/3.4″ 34° telephoto lens, Hybrid OIS/EIS, 2x optical zoom, 960 fps Super slow motion, 3D iToF sensor
- 8MP front-facing camera with 1/ 4″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12μm pixel size, 84° wide-angle lens
- 3.5mm audio jack, Stereo speaker, Dolby Atmos, DSEE Ultimate, Stereo Recording, Qualcomm aptX HD audio
- Side-mounted Fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 166 × 72 × 7.9mm; Weight: 181g
- Water Resistant (IP65/IP68)
- 5G (sub-6GHz) / 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, Bluetooth 5.1, GPS/ GLONASS, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C
- 4000mAh Battery with 21W USB-PD fast charging, Qi Wireless charging
Xperia 1 II will first arrive in the US market for $ 1099, however, it does not support 5G. Sony said it will offer 5G versions for other markets.