Earlier this year, Chinese manufacturing giant, Xiaomi, released the Redmi Note 9 series. This series has three smartphones including Redmi Note 9, Note 9 Pro, and Note 9 Pro Max. Furthermore, this series comes with a square camera module similar to Redmi 10x. However, there are reports that this series may have a defect. According to the report, the square camera module does not appear properly sealed and dust will easily enter the camera, thereby affecting image quality.
Although the image does not really show the improper sealing of the device, it will be a huge problem for the camera. This is because the camera module is inside the glass thus once tiny particles finds their way in, there is no easy way of cleaning it. This will then cause images captured with dirty lenses to appear grainy or blurry.
According to reports, this problem seems to affect a considerable number of Redmi Note 9 and Note 9 Pro devices. However, the company is already aware of this issue. When Alvin Tse, the general manager of Xiaomi Indonesia, responded to user complaints on Twitter in June, he confirmed that the company had indeed received the report and would strengthen its quality control to prevent further situations. As for the units that already have this issue, the company will take care of them in its service center.
The general advice, for now, is to keep your Redmi Note 9 series away from dust and other minute particles. If you have a Redmi Note 9 model and are affected by this issue, you can tell us in the comments section.
Redmi Note 9 Pro and Note 9 Pro Max specifications
- 6.67-inch (2400 × 1080 pixels) 20:9 Full HD+ LCD DotDisplay with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa Core Snapdragon 720G 8nm Mobile Platform (Dual 2.3GHz Kryo 465 A76 + Hexa 1.8GHz Kryo 465 A55 CPUs) with Adreno 618 GPU
- 6GB / 4GB LPPDDR4x RAM with 64GB (UFS 2.1) storage, 6GB / 8GB (LPPDDR4x) RAM with 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with microSD
- Dual SIM (nano + nano + microSD)
- Android 10 with MIUI 11
- 64MP Samsung GW1 sensor with f/1.89 aperture in Redmi Note 9 Pro Max, (48MP Samsung ISOCELL GM2 with f/1.79 aperture in Note 9 Pro), PDAF, EIS, 0.8μm pixel size, LED flash, EIS, 8MP 120° ultra-wide-angle lens, 5MP 2cm macro lens, 2MP depth sensor, 4k 30 fps video recording
- 32MP (Pro Max) / 16MP (Pro) front camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor
- 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio, dual microphones
- Splash-proof (P2i coating)
- Dimensions: 165.7×76.6×8.8mm; Weight: 209g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz + 5GHz) 2 x 2 MIMO, VoWiFi, Bluetooth 5, GPS, NavIC, USB Type-C
- 5020mAh battery with 18W fast charging in Note 9 Pro and 33W fast charging in Pro Max