The top-end Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, presented in early August, broke the previous cost record by going on sale in the United States at a price of $1299 for the 8/128 GB version. Counterpoint research specialists decided to find out the real cost of the expensive device by compiling a list of its inside components, which is presented below.
Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G costs $468 to make while Samsung sells it for $1,299
It follows from the table that the total cost of all components of the smartphone is $468. And if you add up with them the costs of testing, software development, packaging and complete accessories, the final price tag of the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G will be $549. Moreover, it is worth considering that the calculation was on the Snapdragon version of the smartphone with the expensive Snapdragon 865+ chipset. This means that the European model on the branded Exynos 990 costs Samsung much cheaper.
The researchers also presented a diagram of the ratio of the shares of different companies whose components are installed in the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. It is easy to see that the lion’s share of them is produced by Samsung. It reaches 50% in the Snapdragon version of the flagship and about 70% in the Exynos model.
Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra specifications
- 6.9-inch Quad HD+ (3088 × 1440 pixels) Dynamic AMOLED Infinity-O Display, HDR10+,496PPI, 120Hz refresh rate, up to 1500 nits brightness, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 990 7nm EUV processor with ARM Mali-G77MP11 GPU
- 12GB LPDDR5 RAM, 256GB, expandable memory up to 1TB with microSD
- Android 10 with OneUI
- Hybrid Dual SIM
- 108MP rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, OIS, Laser AF Sensor. 12MP Periscope lens with f/3.0 aperture. PDAF, OIS, 5X optical zoom, Super-Resolution Zoom up to 50X, 12MP 120° Ultra Wide sensor with f/2.2 aperture
- 10MP front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos
- Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor
- Dimensions: 164.8 x 77.2 x 8.1mm; Weight: 208
- Bluetooth enabled S Pen with Pressure levels: 4096, Pen tip diameter: 0.7 mm, IP68
- 5G SA/NSA, Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ax (2.4/5GHz), HE80, MIMO, 1024-QAM. Bluetooth 5, GPS with GLONASS, USB Type-C (Gen 3.2), NFC, MST
- 4500mAh (typical) battery with 45W fast charging, wireless (WPC and PMA) charging, Wireless PowerShare
It is worth to mention that recently, and after the Samsung Galaxy S20 green tint issue, the notorious issue has recently reappeared in the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra and Galaxy Tab S7 series. According to a report, several new owners of Galaxy Tab S7, Galaxy Tab S7+ and even Galaxy Note 20 Ultra smartphones are suffering from this problem.