On September 29, Huawei began recruiting EMUI 11 beta testers among owners of the foldable Huawei Mate Xs smartphone. Now the manufacturer has begun distributing the stable version of EMUI 11 based on Android 11.
Initially, the stable version is available in China, beta testing of EMUI 11 in the rest of the world is still ongoing. According to the official timeline, global users of the Mate Xs smartphones will receive stable EMUI 11 in January 2021.
The new firmware has a version number of 220.127.116.11, it adds the high-speed transfer of large files, which has already appeared on smartphones such as Huawei P40, P30, Mate 40 and Mate 30, as well as Huawei Nova 7 and Nova 7 Pro, smart payment mode, fixes app issues and includes November 2020 Android security fixes.
Also, a Starry Night theme and a dynamic bright screen effect that gradually increases the display brightness when unlocked is added.
HUAWEI Mate Xs specifications
- 6.6-inch (2480 x 1148 pixels) 19.5:9 OLED display when folded, 6.38-inch (2480 x 892 pixels) OLED 25:9 display for back panel, 8-inch (2480 x 2200 pixels) OLED 8:7.1 display when unfolded
- HUAWEI Kirin 990 5G (2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.86 GHz + 2 x Cortex-A76 Based 2.36 GHz + 4 x Cortex-A55 1.95 GHz) processor with ARM Mali-G76MP16 GPU, Dual Big Core + Tiny Core NPUs(Neural-network Processing Unit)
- 8GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB storage, expandable memory up to 256GB with NM card
- Android 10 with EMUI 10.0.1, HMS
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano / NM card)
- 40MP rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, 16MP Ultra Wide Angle lens with f/2.2 aperture, 2.5cm macro, 8MP Telephoto lens with f/2.4 aperture, 3x optical zoom, 30x ditial zoom, OIS, HUAWEI Time-of-Flight (TOF) Camera
- Side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Dual Speakers
- Dimensions: 161.3 x 78.5 (146.2 unfolded) x 5.4-11mm; Weight: 300g
- 5G Multi-mode,Dual 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz and 5GHz) (wave2), Bluetooth 5 LE, GPS (L1 + L5 dual band), NFC, USB Type-C (GEN1)
- 4500mAh (2250mAh x 2 ) battery with 55W SuperCharge
Huawei and Honor will occupy 4% and 2% of the smartphone market next year
A new forecast by research firm TrendForce says that independent company Honor, which no longer has anything to do with Huawei, will only be able to occupy 2% of the global smartphone market next year.
Gizchina News of the week
Of course, the sale of Honor will hit Huawei very hard, which is barely afloat under the pressure of US sanctions and their aftermath. If this year analysts give the company only 14% of the global smartphone market, then next year, according to the forecast, the company’s share will drop to 4%. With such results, the company will have to fight for a place in the top ten leaders, since they will definitely not be able to get into the top five.
US sanctions imposed on Huawei are limiting the company’s ability to procure required components; affecting Huawei’s ability to manufacture and market new smartphones. The sanctions were the main reason behind Huawei’s decision to sell its Honor brand.
Another Chinese company Xiaomi, according to the forecast, will significantly strengthen its position next year. TrendForce analysts make a modest forecast for Xiaomi’s share to increase from 12% to 14%. However, Xiaomi itself is much more optimistic and intends to sell from 240 to 300 million smartphones. The company wants to get ahead of Apple and possibly compete for the top spot with Samsung.