ASUS brought its 2021 flagships much earlier than usual. While the ZenFone 7 series was released in July last year, the Taiwanese firm took this month to unveil the ZenFone 8 series composed of the compact ZenFone 8 and the ZenFone 8 Flip that as the name suggests brings back the flipping camera mechanism. However, the company also introduced it’s ROG Phone 5 much earlier than usual in March this year to compete with the gaming phones that arrived in Q1. With these early releases, the company had to adapt its software team. Now, the company is rolling several updates to make these devices stable as soon as possible. Today, it is rolling a new firmware update for the ZenFone 8 series and the ROG Phone 5.
The company is also taking the opportunity to roll out new updates for the older ZenFone 6 and the ROG Phone 3 smartphone. As far as the new flagships are concerned, the new firmware comes to bump up the camera quality and also improve the call quality. The compact ZenFone 8 is getting VoLTE support for three European carriers. The ZenFone 8 is now up to firmware version 188.8.131.52, the ZenFone 8 Flip went up to 30.11.43 update. You can check the update changelog for every device below.
Asus Zenfone 8 and 8 Flip
- The optimized Phone call quality
- Improves camera quality
- Improvements for system stability
- Enables VoLTE on Telekom, Germany (Zenfone 8 only)
- Enabled VoLTE on Tele2, Russia (Zenfone 8 only)
- Enables VoLTE & VoWiFi on O2, Czech Republic (Zenfone 8 only)
The ROG Phone 5 is also getting some “quality of life” improvements through the 18.0840.2104.47 update. It also includes April 2021 security patch which is already outdated but is better than the March patch available before. The update also fixes a host of bugs in the software.
Asus ROG Phone 5
- Updated the Android security patch to 2021-04
- Fixes an issue where 5G connection would unintentionally be regulated by system mode
- Fix the icon cropping problem in App Drawer landscape mode
- Fixes the occasional popping problem of advertisements in the game
- Correct the narrative error in the protection clause of the privacy homepage
- Fixes the problem of too small Chinese text in photo album editing
- Fixed an issue with abnormal temperature display in Armoury Crate
- Fix an issue where account sync would not automatically re-enable after changing system modes
- Fixes an occasional failure to sleep or wake up the machine by pressing the power button
- Fixed issue with echo during calls
- Addresses issue so the accessory case for Zenfone does not appear in search settings
- Fixes an issue where the refresh rate for Chrome was locked when opening YouTube in a window
- Fixed an issue where notifications were displayed abnormally when calling with WeChat
The ASUS ROG Phone 3 is also getting an April security patch and a bunch of bug fixes through the 17.0823.2104.147 update.
Asus ROG Phone 3
- Enabled VoLTE/VoWIFI on MTS (Russia).
- Updated to April 2021 Android security patch
- Fix for occasional Launcher keeps crash
- Fixed the issue where the screen cannot be output through HDMI to ASUS MG279Q monitor
- Updates the APN list
Finally, the 2019 ZenFone 6 is getting a new treatment with an updated security patch and bug fixes for its Android 11 OS. The update here is smaller, but we can understand since the device is soon to be dropped.
Asus Zenfone 6
- Updates the Android security patch
- Updates APN version
- Fix for the problem that the status bar cannot slide out when playing videos or games in full screen